My First Bubble Bucket Grow! Afghani Candy!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by stoned_bunny, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Bubble Bucket Grow
    Nutrients
    : Fox Farms Trio
    Lighting: 4ft 23 watt floro tube
    Light Schedule: 24hrs
    Strain: Afghani Candy a.k.a #2 (Nebula Seed Co.) Ooie Gooie X Afghani #1 F2

So I built the bucket today! Super easy, I drilled 1 hole for the air line and put in the air stone and snapped on the net cup lid on to the five gallon bucket. DONE! lol Initial tests suggest that i may need a. a stronger pump or b. another air stone or c. both.

I well be getting this PH pen OAKTON Waterproof EcoTestr PH 2 Pocket Meter And Oakton Waterproof EcoTestr PH 2 Pocket PH Meter - Cole-Parmer Catalog soon as my check comes in.

I started germing the seed in a Sunleaves Starter Plug a few min ago!

Ill post some pix later!

2. Ok so the seed im planning to use in this bubble bucket has barely started to pop out of the starter plug. were almost there! heres a pic of the bubble bucket and the bottom of the lid

Attached Files:

3. Along for the ride.

4. Today marks day one for Afghani Candy seedling im going to call Sydney(non-feminized, just hoping for female). Sydney has officially popped out of the SunLeaves starter plug i had her in. I'm going to be waiting for her roots to grow out of the starter plug before placing her in the bubble bucket. Hopefully by then ill have my PH pen. here is a pic of her still trying to face the light i watched her go from folded over in half to how she is now sense this morning.

shes currently under 24 hours of light

Attached Files:

5. I love watching the miracle of life unfold.

6. And who said watching the "grass" grow wasnt fun?

7. Luckily, you won't need the pH pen 'till you've got nutes in the water, and that's at least a week away. :D

Be sure you never put your pH meter in plain R/O water. :)

Little seedling looks great!

8. i know nothing about using a ph pen. why do i never put it in plain R/O water and ill be using either aged tap water or distilled. is there any other things i need to know?

9. R/O or distilled, you don't want to put your meter in anything under 20ppm. Tap water is fine.

Here is some helpful info on pH meters, posted by grower Earl a while back.

The meter you got will work great, you don't really need that .01 accuracy.

I never check or adjust the pH of my water until I put nutrients in the water.

10. Make sure it's calibrated. I almost returned the one I bought because it was WAY off, and they didn't ship it w/ a calibration solution.

Thankfully a friend of mine happens to teach chemistry and run a lab at a local major university, and he promptly calibrated my meter, then laughed at me and gave me enough calibration stuff to last a lifetime.

11. Thanks for the info i never knew that! you may have just saved me from making major mistakes!

12. Day 2
    Sydney is a little stretched out right now but when she goes in the bubble bucket ill fix that by putting her lower in the medium. the tap root has popped out of the bottom of the starter plug! i know its to early to out her in the bubble bucket but when should i expect her to be ready?

Attached Files:

13. I'd wait till you got roots blastin out the sides. Couple days?

14. #14 stoned_bunny, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2010
    Day 5

Sydney has officially moved into her new home in the bubble bucket water level is just barely touching the bottom of the net basket water is ph'ed to 6.0 roughly (still using ph tester drops) no nutrients yet

Also she has a spot under the 200w CFL and well be changing to 18/6 lighting

heres some pix of the move

Attached Files:

15. Day 7

Sydney has a weird discoloring of her 1 leaf set!!! leaf set 2 looks fine. Any one know what this may be from?

Attached Files:

16. #16 .HiGhGuY., Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010

Good info...I didn't know that. +rep as you have probably just saved me $45 (cost of replacement PH probe for the following tester) I was looking into getting the Hanna HI 98129 the PH/EC/TDS/Temp combo meter. Can be picked up for around $134 shipped on ebay. Also, nice thing about this combo meter is it's completly waterproof and floats, so if you drop in the res, no big deal, where as other ones are not and have a maximum depth line, if you cross it, the electronics will get wet and probably short out. It has fairly good accuracy @ .05 for PH, and 2% F.S. for TDS/EC.

but now knowing what i just learned from your post, I'll probably have to get a second cheap TDS meter only....as I like to stick it in my R/O water to make sure that the R/O filter is doing its job and so i know when its time to replace the filter elements. since the PH probe and TDS/EC probe are on the same area, that means you couldn't stick it in R/O without messing it up.

BTW...does anyone know if its bad or not to let a TDS meter probe dry out, or to NOT store it in any sort of solution? I'm guessig they are less sensative since they are basically just a metal rod, as opposed to a PH meter that has the little glass bulb filled with a liquid.

17. guess my jounal is a good place for a meter questions... least im learning things lol

18. this ur first hydro grow???? good luck. Hydro is the way to go IMO.

I started with hydro and havn't looked back yet. Want to get a true aero rig setup, but that will have to wait for a few grows down the line.

hows that black diesal, sounds like a good strain

19. I found this online... The black Diesel is only about 2 weeks old and already looking beastly !!!:hello: come watch my other journal to see how it turns out! And if this hydro grow works out then i plan on switching to full hydro!