My first attempt. PC case grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by gfburke, Apr 23, 2011.

1. #1 gfburke, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
    I thought this should be where my build log goes.
    I'm going to add pics today as I build the PC grow box. I know electronics and case modding parts well, but if I'm doing something wrong, or buying the wrong parts, please say something as I still have receipts. :p

I will need help when it comes time to start the grow.

** edit:
    How to grow
    - humidity: 20% is good for flowering, for veg you want ~30-40%
    - how to germinate and plant the seed
    - use either 24/0 or 18/6 lighting for seed up till flowering time. (ill do 24/0)
    - then 24hrs of darkness before moving to 12/12
    - use 12/12 lighting to start the flowering process.
    - do's and dont's
    - pH range of 5.3 to 6.8

---

I'm running 4x CFLs, 120mm in, 120mm out and my temps never went above 77f. This wont be the case with just an exhaust fan.

2. #2 gfburke, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
    About $30 invested so far. I'll go shopping today and post back.

I gutted the PSU and the basic parts of the PC case at work.
    Today, I'll finish gutting the PC case. Even cut out the back plate out where the power strip will go to get more depth for the lights.

Attached Files:

3. Looks pretty nice, but Ive always wondered how people with micro grows plan to dry the bud in a stealthy manor.

4. Thanks. Good question. I don't know the first part about the planting, growing, harvest, etc. From what I've learned so far, I can do the case then get to that. :)

5. 2nd trip to the store. $55 more spent. wasn't sure how much shiny material needed, so i bought 2. ($4 a piece)

That's pretty much it except: soil, pots, seeds.

Attached Files:

6. I bought my refelctor at the dollar store. You're only gonna need one. I still have enough left for another box.. :p

Also, those 2 little fans won't be able to cool off 4 CFL's. At least, it won't for me. I have 3 running and it's still way warm. In the 90's..

7. Thanks man. I will end up using 1x80mm in, 1x120mm out. should be ok?
    i can go with 2 120mm, think i will.

k, honed out the case. drilled out the rivets, even removed the back panel.

Attached Files:

8. testing light fit. they do make some heat! hard to touch after a couple min.
    VERY bright to look at. I did notice the most light is seen from an angle, not straight from the bottom or from the tops.. i may angle them slightly.

1in to spare on test fit, which will be good for when the shiny padding is put in.

Attached Files:

9. This looks like its going great man! I'd be willing to do a pc grow with an autoflower dwarf strain just for the experience....:)

10. For reducing heat, move the lights and exhaust fan closer together. Also, intake fans are kinda pointless. Have the case pretty airtight, with the 2 exhaust fans, and a passive intake around the height of the plants.
    Also, mix the 6500k and 2700k lights together for full spectrum.

11. O, ok. so I should be using 2 6500ks and 2 2700ks at the same time? Thus also making it so i don't have to switch anything later..?
    thanks for your help bro!

12. You could even go a 3:1 ratio depending on what stage your in. As long as both parts of the spectrum are used. I read an interesting article awhile back about the dramatic increase in plant growth when both colors were mixed as opposed to one at a time. I wish I saved that link.

13. O, ok. Think what I'll do is go 3 and 3. I found a splitter for the lights so I can add 2 more. That sound generically good?

14. 3 and 3? 6 lights? lol, there's no way you'll cool that.

15. So 4 is the most for this size of space then it sounds. that's cool. I'll do that, thanks.

16. I did something about the same as this, i used reflector tape and had the lights near the exit vent with the carbon filter. I used 3 lights though, 2 2700k 24w and 1 26w 6500k I find that works best in my case which is only 18 inches tall. Who knows. maybe i'm doing it wrong but nothing has died yet? I also have 2 intake fans with from new egg sucking in which are very quiet and move a fuck ton of air. I found it was effective to create an airflow of sorts with the fan. Hopefully someone will confirm or deny what i've done haha

stink

17. Im having trouble keeping my 3 cool. I'm at 95. I just took one of them out for now.

Daylight bulbs run hotter than soft white as far as I know of, so I'll do 4 softwhites when I flower.

18. Cool. I'm going 3x1 then swap 1x3 for flowering.

Getting electronics ready.

Attached Files:

19. When attaching this shiny stuff, clean the surface really well with windex or something, you want your stuff to stick. Normally, 3M90 is not foam safe, but I did a test on a small piece of mine, and it was fine. Test yours before using it. Don't use 3M77, too weak.

Cut to perfection, clean surface, spray, lay it down. maybe put some books on it for an hour.

Attached Files:

20. Sitting pretty @ 77F temp. 4 26wt CFLs, 3x 6500k|1x 2700k. So far 18min running.
    Of course.. 120mm in, 120mm out fans are not quite.
    Probe is sitting on bottom of case, ground level.

more pics to come soon.