My Experience with the Twister Autotrimmer

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by BlazinBlizzard, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Hey Folks,

So I thought Id post a few pictures and my 1st experience with the Twister auto-trimmer.

As you guys may or may not know Twister is now the "standard" for quality commercial machine trimming. Its quite a heavy duty set-up that retails new for around $15k... ya about the same a nice used sports car.. :confused:

After hearing about its use from a few dispensaries as well as reading a 100 page review on another forum that raved about them I decided to give it a try on an upcoming 16 light room that needed pulled down all at once, and found a company willing to rent me one for $500 a day.

The long and the short... THIS THINGS A BEAST

It took a little while to figure out the angles and exactly how full the hopper and tumbler needed to be with product.. but once this baby gets going :hello::bolt::yay:

Basically you have to get a team of people bucking/shucking all the nugs off the stems to keep this thing going, we had people start a good 6-8 hours before we even started the twister. Get a huge stock pile of ready to trim nugs, then start up your machine and dont stop!!! :D

Now I will say there are one or two issues to be aware of...

1. I always say there are 2 kinds of trimming, "lawn mower" style where you just cut around the nug in a circle and leave the stubs of the sugar leaves in the valleys to form a rounder nug, or you can go thru and clip each leaf right in the valley and make the really beautiful peaks and valleys with no stub nugs. This machine defaintly does it more "lawn mower" status.

2. You have to find a balance between speed of nugs going thru the machine, and quality of trim. Also we found that 5-10% of the nugs that come out "finished" needed a quick hand trim and then usually just thrown back thru the machine. This usually happened with larger nugs, I was actually pleasantly surprised on how well it trimmed smalls.

3. This thing is HEAVY, and relatively LOUD when running. Actually after lifting it in and out of a truck bed it made more sence why it was so expensive. Defiantly not a cheaply made machine!!!

Here's a few pictures, then some results.

[​IMG]

You really dont want very much in the hopper at a time
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trim collector, (produces a ground up mulch type trim better suited for BHO than fullmelt)
    [​IMG]

About 5 mins worth
    [​IMG]

Twistin!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well this damn thing trimmed 23 lbs in just under 12 hours [​IMG] I was blown away. I would say it was trimmed 80-90% as well as a trim team would have, in obviously 1/5-1/10 the time and price.

So.... My final thoughts... Is it worth $15k..? That could still be debated, but what isnt really debatable is that if you have enough product to run this thing, then 15K probably isnt really an issue to you... and that I think is there selling point.

The main thing that makes this thing so amazing to me, is it enables 2 or 3 guys to pull out an EXTREMELY large outdoor grow and get everything down WITHOUT involving 12-20 other people come harvest time... The advantages in that in terms of security, time, and money are incalculable..

I think splitting one with 1 or 2 other people is the way to go... We will see what this summer turns into, but damn the thought of never trimming again is sounding better and better. ;)

Any questions are welcome

2. For $15,000 this thing should be made of solid gold

3. nice write up seems like it has it's time and place. maybe next year for me. for now just trim a little everyday will get there eventually.

pull all fan leaves outside, inside just trim stems and sugar leafs for collection. 

thank you for the pics!

4. didn;t know PAM made a machine-lubricant...haha nice

5. Looks sweet, not worth the money imo unless you got a huge crop that needs trimmed. 15k? Damn I wonder why its so pricey..

6. Maybe they'll be cheaper in a few years? I could see coughing up 5 grand or so.... 15 is kind of steep

7. Is it just that one slotted tube? or is there an outer one as well?

8. You can pick one up used for five to seventy five G. It would be nice to rent like beer and wine places do with equipment. Have it from twelve to twelve. I'd be down.