My dad needs a kidney....

Discussion in 'General' started by HighHaze, Feb 11, 2010.

1. #1 HighHaze, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
    ...and im pretty much the only one that can give it to him because my brother has kidney problems and im probably the healthiest person in my whole family.

My dad is on dialysis and has to go on the waiting list for a new kidney which will take forever....but i overheard him on the phone saying that if someone wants to give their kidney to him then he can skip the whole waiting list process (think he said that around me on purpose).

the thing is, my dad is such an unhealthy individual thats its not even funny. i've told him that he needs to work out and change his eating habits and he has had several times where he tried for like a month but kept stopping. now all he does is eat crap food, drink a crapload of juice and soda, and sit down all day. He has a LIST of health problems and is on so many meds, and he wouldnt have a lot of these problems if he just took care of himself like i advised him in the first place.

i feel like if i gave him my kidney, he just wouldn't treat it right and keep living his unhealthy inactive lifestyle.

i am a powerbuilder and i do parkour, and i eat a TON of protein, and i have a feeling that i would regret giving up my useful kidney to someone who isnt even trying to take care of themself. I have my whole life ahead of me and I want to see how far my hard work will take me. Not only that, but if i did undergo this surgery, i would be out of the gym for ~6 months (i heard), and i would most likely relapse into depression and there is a chance that i would kill myself. I also would have to be out of school which i just started to take very seriously last semester (got straight A's, gpa was 3.9) after failing two semesters and being depressed and suicidal. I had so many plans with my music, my body, and my life, and this surgery would just fuck it all up.

i know how much my dad has sacrificed for me and i "should" be doing this for him, but i dont know what im gonna do. Now please post your questions and comments calling me a selfish asshole.

CLIFFS
    -dad needs kidney, i am only one that can give it to him or he has to wait a long time on waiting list
    -i eat a lot of protein and need my kidneys to continue my gains with my physique which i've been working on for years
    -i would be out of the gym for ~6 months if i got the surgery and would be depressed and suicidal
    -would be out of school which i've just started taking seriously and got gpa of 3.9 after failing two semesters
    -dont think dad will treat my kidney as well as i do because he lives inactive unhealthy lifestyle & wouldnt have most of the problems he had if he ate right and worked out
    -go ahead, call me a selfish asshole

2. #2 Natedogg7734, Feb 11, 2010
    Naw dude, don't waste your kidney bra, he's just gonna kill that one....... If I was you, I would offer him your kidney, but tell him only if he changes his lifestyle

3. how long is the waiting list?

4. 6 weeks? why does that seem too short......

and i debated telling him that but the fact is that he just will not......believe me. I would be even more pissed if he agreed to that and never held up his part of the deal.

5. ^ useless post (natedogg)

surgery to remove a kidney would most likely sidleine you from your weight lifting for the better part of a year (i've seen pictures of you around here i believe. you're clearly moving a lot of weight around.)

i dont know a shitload about it
    but i do know a sturdy shitload about lifting weights

and i''m guessing that the removal of a kidney would prevent one from that type of exertion from a long time

i'm going to speak plainly, forgive me.
    your father's unhealthy lifestyle isnt worthy of the healthy kidney of another.

honestly this thread makes me sad on so many levels

especially when some guy rolls through and is like
    na man
    na

6. Yeah I feel you on thatt, that's a hard decision your going have to make, Ive been lifting for awhile myself, your kidneys are soo important, and my post is not trying to be useless as ling as you know that High Haze, big tree wants to talk some shit, let him, haters make me who I am.

But keep me up to date with things brother

7. Offer it to him on the condition that he has to work to keep it. I mean, you can't just take it back, but tell him he has to take care of it.

I know you love him, but you aren't obligated to do this.

Good luck, HighHaze.

8. in all honesty, i say dont give him it.. He had his chance to not fuck up his organs, and he didnt do that. I could see if he was a healthy person, but he doesnt do anything? Thats just taking the easy way out of things

9. thts a realy hard decision but you know that only thing we can do is give you are opinions so i will do that.

you said our dad was unhealthy and bassicly sat around all day. well to be honest i would not give him that kidney if he is just going to fuck it up again. but i would have a chat with him. i know you said you tried to talk to him but have a discussion specificly about you giving up your kidney for him.

10. no idea man......

man people can say whatever, believe me when i say that i wont get offended because i am a real person and like when people are straight up and real with me.

but fuck man a year????? my god........i would definitely kill myself then

XD you guys crackin me the fuck up man, thanks...i need this comic relief. i'll let you know what happens tho bro.

the only work he will do is his office work.....if i gave my kidney to him i wouldnt expect him to even attempt to live a healthy lifestyle even if i made that deal with him.

yea, if he was healthy then i would probably give it to him because i know he would take care of it.....but i gave him his warning about working out and his eating habits and he just would not listen. truth is, im only actually thinking about it because he is my dad. if this was happening to someone else i would tell them "too bad, shouldve lived healthier" without even considering it.

11. Try to find out exactly what it entails for you, exactly how it will set you back, try to solidify exactly what you'd be dealing with.

In the UK's NHS, they take the psychological side into account when the assess you with the screening process. You're not being selfish takint that into consideration

While I can see your dad probably doesn't want to talk to you about donating directly, it's really horrible to drop hints. It's not like it's not pressuring you, all it does is avoids confrontation for him.

Which in my opinion, is what's needed the most. It would be great if you were able to tell him exactly what you think/ why you make whatever decision you make.

Because while he is avoiding talking about it now, if you decide not to give him your kidney, he's still going to have those questions.
    And if you decide to give him your kidney, you're going to want to know he's going to look after it.

It's a lot to ask, and a shame that he hasn't actually asked you.

Also, depression is a horrible thing, and it takes a lot to break your way out of it.

although I don't think you'd be out of school for any where near as long as you would exercise.

This post doesn't have a point, just a few angles. I hope things work out.

12. theres a chance you might kill yourself if you give your dad your kidney? i dont see the connection there...

but ultimately, if you don't think he deserves it dont give it to him i guess.

13. Wow...I'm so sorry you have to be put in this position.

I know you almost feel obligated to do this because he is your father and you might not be where you are today without him. As you said, he's made plenty of sacrifices for you...

BUT...he needs to make some sacrifices for his own life...diet, exercise, etc...he must be feeling pretty sick at the moment...going through dialysis and all that. But, even in his sickness, he's not willing to change his lifestyle so that he can live...that being said, I doubt that he will change when he has a fresh new kidney from his son...

I won't tell you what to do cause I can't even begin to imagine what I would do in your shoes...this has got to be probably the hardest decision of your life...the problem is...do you follow your heart, or do you follow your head?

Best of luck to you whatever your decision...:)

14. What a bad situation to be in man. Can you not explain all of what you explained to us too him? Just say like dad i don't wan't to give up a kidney if your just going to waste it because giving you this is going to affect my life quite alot. Whatever you decide it will be the right desicion based on your circumstances.

15. dddddduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddeeeeeeee iam almost in the exact situation, cept my dad goes on diaylsis later in the year, my dad is pretty unhealthy, smokes, has type 2 diabetes, overweight, etc, but at the end of the day if my kidney can extend his life iam down for it

my dad also tried for like 1 month spurts to get healthy but always quit and hasnt even tried quiting smoking in years but i hear after a kidney transplant that they patient recieving feels instatly better, more energy, so i would hope that would inspire him to stay feeling that way, + if i do it iam goin to tell him that id like him to live healthier

did a little reading online and it seems to be a pretty routine surgery nowadays, seen like a 90+ % success rate, just sucks that id be only w/ one kidney though, what if i get hit by something or someone, i could possibly die, things u gotta think about....but to me its an easy choice, + inst it hard to see ur dad hooked up to a machine to live??

16. #16 tharedhead, Feb 11, 2010
    Have you talked to his physican to determine if he is following the diet and exercise instructions he has been given. A correct diet and activity level for chronic renal failure can look very different from what a person who is not ill considers "healthy" Here is some info on the predialysis diet....he should've been on one of these for years.
    http://www.kidney.org/atoz/pdf/nutri_chronic.pdf
    Now that he is on dialysis his correct diet will look quite odd.
    But if he is not following his docs advice, no, don't give him a kidney.
    Do you know the underlying cause of the renal failure? :confused:
    If there are certain hereditary issues, you may not be an acceptable doner, anyway.

17. i can see why people in here say dont give him a kidney b/c hes not follwing docs orders or not workin out, but he wont last long on dialysis and is basically handed a death sentence, his kidney fuction % will continue to decrease and he will eventually die while cont. diaysis, but if ur a match or found someone whos a match, u can give him new life, itll b hard on both of u, but i think after going something like that u can convince him to change his ways, its not 100% proof but u gotta work at it and i think it would be worth it..........thats just the way i see it between my dad and me

18. OP, it's kind of hard for me to say, but I say keep your gorgeous kidney. Seriously.

IF your Pops took care of himself, I'd say "consider it." Which you've already done. But your dad isn't taking care of his body like he should. It's so sad.

But seriously, with this admittedly altruistic act, you're looking at: (a) undergoing a major surgery, (b) a forever changed existence, and (c) risking falling back into depression--all for someone who isn't fighting for his life with everything he has? Pfuck that. You need to take care of yourself first, you know?

It's hard for us to stand up for our own lives sometimes, but I think you need to do just that, OP. Best of luck to you.

19. Aaaaand tharedhead comes through with stellar, impeccable advice once again! I love it!

20. i've been battling depression my whole life. the only things that stop me from being depressed are my hobbies, especially weightlifting. so basically, either i advance my hobbies or die. its pretty crazy but i think it made me the talented guy that I am.
    yea i thought it was horrible that he tried to drop hints too....but i already know how the conversation would play out if i explained to him that he has to live a healthier lifestyle. he would agree and say that he would do it, but end up not doing it.

yea, the guy isnt gonna change. if i had faith in him changing i wouldnt be debating this as much.
    he is going to lie to me and say he is gonna take care of it. just like how he lied literally hundreds of times when he said he would go back to the gym and lose weight....i think the reason he said it so much was because he was trying to convince HIMSELF.

wow nice....well not nice but u know what i mean. my dad doesnt smoke but he has diabetes also. i admire that you are down for the surgery though. yea its hard seeing him in the hospital bed hooked up to a machine, but me giving him a kidney wont change that for much longer, especially if he still isnt taking care of himself. i didnt know that after the surgery they have more energy though.