My cousins first CD, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by adeline, Oct 25, 2010.

1. So it's my cousins 10th birthday in a week, and he's getting his first CD player (despite wanting an iPhone :p).
    My aunt has asked me to put together a mixed CD or 2 with a range of "young people music" so he can find out what kind of music he likes.
    The problem is that even though I'm 19, I stopped listening to most of that crap 5-6 years ago, and I don't listen to radio or watch TV (I get everything from my computer :D).
    I was hoping people might have some suggestions for recent music I could put on the CDs, any genre, though I have a lot of the rock/alternative stuff covered.

His parents have an AMAZING older CD and record collection so he's already getting all the oldies. ;) (Though I'm planning on adding some 90's stuff, because they have none of that.)
    Also, the songs need to be reasonably child friendly, not songs about drugs/sex, but a subtle reference is ok. He is only 10.

So far I've got lots of rock (but I still need more :p) and kid cudi, kanye west, iyaz. etc
    I'm a bit lost in recent music :eek:

TLDR: My cousin is 10, and I need help making him a CD of recent, "young people" music, because I don't listen to mainstream stuff much.
    Any suggestions GC?

2. put some punk rock on it for sure. bands like the ramones or the some of the clash are pretty clean and it's good to have exposure to that. don't put hardcore punk or anything like that. Green day is a possibility here.

also put some easy listening metallica on it like enter sandman. (even though their best stuff is from the early 80s)

you might also want to check out some 60s jazz, like the fast tempoed stuff

3. Now That's What I Call Music! 35 (U.S. series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBJYAbSbyXM]YouTube - SAOSIN - Show Me Yo Booty Hole Lyrics[/ame]

5. You gave me a few good ideas, thanks :D

I've been looking up top 100 type stuff, so this is good :smoke:

And damnit, I lost the game.

Anymore suggestions?

6. Gorillaz ??

7. yeah deffinatly anyone can appreciate the gorrilaz:hello:

8. Epic, thank you.

I'm finishing off the CD tomorrow, so any last ideas?

9. Please include this
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbJ4qLiMu0]YouTube - DJ Fresh - Gold Dust (Flux Pavilion Remix)[/ame]

use youtube to mp3. google it.
    some uber chill stuff like Sigur Ros can't hurt either

10. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Arctic Monkeys, The Raconteurs, The White Stripes, some good current bands that aren't to inappropriate for a 10 year old.

11. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUZiBi3TvwQ]YouTube - Young Money - Sacrifice (Lil Wayne, Gudda Gudda, Mack Maine)[/ame]

12. put some good ol blues on there. bb king, t bone walker, freddie king, that kinda stuff. then sme classic rock like jimi hendrix, clapton, led zepplin, pink floyd, kansas, you know the good stuff.

13. Shpongle.
    He needs his mind blown more, which Katy Perry and that beaver kid simply can't do.

14. I used most of the suggestions, and a bunch of other stuff, and he LOVED the CDs :D (I made 2).

Thanks for the suggestions, this helped a lot :smoke:
    I'm going to be making him more in the future by his request :p

15. just go look up the top 40 list and get the top like 10, that'll fill an hour long album right?

16. Maybe throw some Linkin Park on there like the Hybrid Theory and Meteora albums?? Those are there best albums IMO and seems like something I would like at 10

17. Gorillaz
    Grizzly Bear
    Mike Relm
    UNKLE

These are all pretty age appropriate for him, and also the kind of music anyone kind find an interest in. Hope that helps!

18. Put some disco songs on it too now that I think about it