My Conserns on Lighting..

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MrBudget, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Ok, so I've been debating for a while the cheapest route to go for lighting..

I've been contemplating buying a 4 socket light rack, and splicing it up with a dual bulb socket adapter for a total of 8 cfl bulbs.

Cfl bulbs are cheap as sin and I can get 8 at th e dollar store for about $2, each going around 600 lumens most likly.

But,

My consern is heat. I DON'T want a fire breaking out in my mini-fridge box.. :/ How hot can 8 cfl's realistically get?

2. Not fire hot, as long as it's not dodgy wiring, but after they've been on for hours they will be hot to touch, and without ventilation the temps will rise above 80F in your box.

It's unlikely to get that hot. Those bulbs must be around 10w each. It would be worth sourcing out some bigger wattages. Your best bet is to set the system up and leave a max/min thermometer in there and keep a close eye on it for the first few hours. How hot it will get will depend on the size of the grow box and the ventilation system

4. Hmn.. ok, I think I'll install a thermometer and the fans - then up the wattage of all 8 bulbs till I get a passive 75F temp in there. :)

Sounds like a solid plan. Anything between 68-86 is fine, although the top end of that range isn't good for young seedlings

6. Awesome, thank you! Hmn... what range is good for seedling through flower? This will be my all in one chamber, and I'd like to keep the temp uniform throughout.

Sorry I'm not too great with Fahrenheit, I know that 68-86℉ is 20-30℃. About 25℃ is where you want it 

8. 25C is 77F for us Americans;)

9. Hehe thank you! ;)

10. #10 MrBudget, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  11. I use CFLs also with great success. Use a combination of 2 T8s and CFLs. They dont get hot at all, my concern was also heat in my closet grow. Stays within 70-80 max range with only a fan blowing on them. I also keep the AC pretty low im sure that helps a ton.

You can bet your ass that cycle lamp doesn't give off 10,000 lumens. I have a very similar cycle light but it has 7 diodes. It's bright but it's not 10,000 lumen bright. a 250w CFL costs about £25 and will put out about 15,000 lumens

13. Where would I find a 250 watt cfl with compatible plugin for $25?!? The best I could fund was a 125 watt on amazon for $35, and ebay is nutoriously sketchy. :/

14. #14 GoldGrower, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015

I have no idea. I said £25. What's sketchy about eBay? Buying from the UK eBay is pretty problem free 

Here's a 250w CFL for £20 
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231465212665&globalID=EBAY-GB&alt=web 

Here's a 250w CFL for £28 with delivery included
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111480932344&alt=web 

A compatible reflector for £12 including delivery
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221669737515&alt=web