My car and RTV silicone

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by AdenaDuvessa, Aug 30, 2013.

1. So my mom and I had to replace my Cadillac converter which was a pain. Today we got the new one and put it on using 'high-temp RTV silicone'. Now we are trying to figure out if we have to wait 24 hrs or how long before we can drive or even start the car. Anyone know anything?

2. #2 Tree Burner, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013

Catalytic converter. I'm guessing you only used RTV for the gasket? Personally, I would have went with an actual gasket. 24 hours.

3. Cadillac converter? I could use one of those....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Well if your going to put one in yourself it's pretty easy as long as you have a second person to help lol.

5. Don't know this particular project but with silicone give min 24hrs to fully cure

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

He was joking. You called it a Cadillac(the car) converter when the correct name for it is a catalytic converter.

7. #7 AdenaDuvessa, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
    Oh wow didn't even notice that :/ don't I feel stupid . . .

8. #8 Tree Burner, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013

lol, it's all good. I've heard quite a few people say it incorrectly like that.

Btw, did you keep your old catalytic converter? They can be worth over $100 bucks(some can go for 150ish I believe) depending on what kind it is and if the stuff inside is still intact. They generally contain several precious metals one of which usually being platinum. Most scrap yards take them. I got ~100 bucks for the one I took off of my old car.

9. I'm prbly going to try and sell mine as well. But I've heard it's illegal Is that true?

10. #10 Tree Burner, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013

In some states it's illegal to sell a catalytic converter to be re-used(as in put on another car) as it's not been tested for functionality. It's not illegal to sell to a scrap yard or anywhere that recycles metal. Call your local metal recycling facilities/scrap yards as I'm sure the majority take them.