My Boyfriend never cleans his bong

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by kaymoo12, Feb 28, 2021.

1. So my boyfriend and I have been together for 6 months now and i’ve noticed i’ve never ever seen him clean his bong. i’m pretty sure he changes the water but it’s not that frequent and i heard bong water molds after about 3 days? i’m not 100% sure because i don’t smoke as much as i used to (i also never owned a bong) and i never smoke out of his bong anymore because it smells and tastes bad, makes me cough and makes my chest burn. i even told him he needs to clean his bong because of the resin build up, possibly mold and other bacteria and he basically told me even if there was mold in the bong it’s not dangerous? but it’s like HOW do you let your bong get that dirty? i kinda just need some advice but apart of me feels like i’m overreacting? idk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Youre not over reacting at all.
    Most care, some dont. You should care about inhaling mold(fungus) and bacteria. It doesn't magically disappear with new water and momentary warm smoke. Now if you atleast just rinse with water multiple times, maybe give a shake or two, ide feel comfortable enough. NOT if its already colonized.

Ive had a long relationship with bongs, as in 10 years. Clean your bongs, or ATLEAST dump the dirty water after use each time. They're equipment used to inhale air into your lungs. Sign me up for giving a shit.

Brutally honest it just speaks so much of character to not give a shit about this stuff to me after smoking so long and growing up with it. Does this guy not care about wearing condoms either?

My apologies, im sure im coming off as offensive, im just grossed out.

Despite all of this, its not the biggest deal. Its all subjective. You care. He does not. The world moves on and we all die anyways.
    Inhaling sufficient amount of mold spores, and whatever else is rolling the dice for 1-10 discomfort possibilities. It takes one simple google search to learn.

Maybe clean it for him and see if he even cares about the literal cleaner and smoother drag. Give him a chance

Now you know youre not over reacting cause im probably that example.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. I think you are being quite reasonable, hon! I've used cannabis for over 50 years, and I was taught a person should dump the water every time they use their bong.

When you light a bowl, the whole bowl is not instantly on fire. As you inhale, the part of the cannabis that is not burning has relatively cool air (less than the 200 degrees (F) needed to kill fungus spores) flowing over it and into the water. Any spores caught up in that air stream could survive to reproduce in the bong water.

Aspergillus spores are frequently found on cannabis. Most of the time our body's immune system can handle them, no problem. But occasionally, if they get into the lungs, it can be bad.

Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis associated with smoking moldy marihuana. (USA) (abst - 1978) Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis associated with smoking moldy marihuana - PubMed

Fatal aspergillosis associated with smoking contaminated marijuana, in a marrow transplant recipient. (USA) (abst - 1988) Fatal Aspergillosis Associated with Smoking Contaminated Marijuana, in A Marrow Transplant Recipient - ScienceDirect

And Aspergillus is not the only possible problem with a dirty bong. Pseudomonas is even more frightening. In 2008 my late husband caught Pseudomonas (he picked it up when he was in the hospital for kidney stones) and it almost killed him.

Marijuana “bong” pseudomonas lung infection: a detrimental recreational experience
    Marijuana “bong” pseudomonas lung infection: a detrimental recreational experience

But keeping your bong clean avoids these problems, and gives you a much better smoke!

Frankly, the fact that he doesn't do something as trivial as cleaning up a small mess that he has created, after you have asked him to do it, makes me wonder if your relationship is going to last! Small courtesies, like that, help a relationship last. (I was married for 51 years before my husband died.)

And that your boyfriend claims that getting fungal spores in lungs is harmless is just plain crazy!

Granny :wave:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Storm Crow comin' with the science ;)
    I'll go simple from my take;
    It's dirty. It stinks the place up like a motherfucker. It's unpleasant to have to use a dirty smoking device.
    You've experienced this.
    He's "got used to it" and smoked himself lazy.
    Advice is - You don't like it, so don't use it. Get your own device.
    Though yeah, nice if he would listen to common sense and work with you to (easily) eliminate the problem.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. You are very reasonable and should make him clean his bong that's disgusting. Thats like not cleaning your plates or not showering.

When I smoke flower I smoke joints cuz I prefer not having to clean glass everytime. I use my bong for dabs and have a reclaim catcher so the reclaim doesn't get my bong dirty and, then clean my qwertz banger everytime I use it.

Simple stuff like that will make sure you get a fresh clean toke everytime. Nothing is worse than a dirty harsh taste. If I were you I'd clean it in his sleep. :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. he not allowed to chose his own wardrobe?

• Like Like x 1
  7. If you smoke bowls and dont smoke them till theres nothing but ash, they actually never really taste that bad.

if u dont like it, clean it! super easy. and he could have reused that cleaner 5-10 more times.

• Like Like x 2
  8. There's no magic "3 days then water gets moldy". If you only smoked a few hits out of it and especially if no ash fell in the water, it actually wouldn't get that dirty at all. Obviously if you smoked a lot and if a bunch of ash and unburned weed fell in the water it would be a lot worse. If you do the later then you should change the water as soon as you can. If the former then it doesn't matter that much. Just use common sense with it and it'll be no problem.

As per your specific situation if you're asking this then I'm sure he probably isn't cleaning it or changing the water enough. Either get him to do it or don't use his piece I guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. So many factors that go into a bong being rankkk.

I've found that purging it out after a hit goes a long way. Regularly cleaning the downstem is another biggie. Sometimes the downstem itself just gets so caked up it basically gets re-burned everytime a bowl tries to go through it with any sort of heat behind it. Nasty.

I try to keep ontop of my bong, but even if the inside of the glass is completely destoroyed, a fresh water change and a clean bowl leaves no strange taste, despite the bong looking like ass. Vise versa, if I've just cleaned my bong spotless, but let water build up and get dirty and don't clear a few hits out of it, every hit starts to taste worse and worse, until I change the water

10. I'll be your new boyfriend.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. As long as Sade keeps his bong in tip top shape, I think it’s time to make the switch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Get some Mean Green. they sell it at Walmart for $5 a gallon. Dump the bong out and fill it with Mean Green. It's just a degreaser soap. It works way better than ISO. Let it sit in the bong over night. In the morning it will be like a brand new bong.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. #13 Vee, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    6^ months with a 'dirty- looser' won't go well on your Romance - C.V.

in some states thats an 'auto'marriage' and as such you are invited to
    half that dirty bong once this phase has passed

if you can't fix this simple issue?
    whats gonna happen when it comes time to clean the shower, toilet... change diapers...?
    pay car payments other stuff normal peeps do with ease

you still have time to find that real guy

good luck

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ya boytoy sounds like a grub.

I agree with the lads above. Go with @Sade instead.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Do not check his underwear. There is a correlation.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Lmfao

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. why should you insist the female clean the males bong
    last I looked it was the 21st century

Men clean their own bongs these days

thx

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Of course. But if she told him how easy it is with Mean Green, maybe he would
    pick some up. the stuff is hell a cheap and works better than anything.

• Like Like x 1
  19. see this is most peoples problem. rippin' bowls through u r smoking weed that the thc left about 400 degrees ago. weed shouldnt be smoked until there is nothing left.

• Like Like x 1
  20. if she wants to use it and she is the one who has an issue with it being dirty, its on her to clean it. dudes not saying its her job, he is happy with it dirty.