My adventures into medium format film photography

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by CosmicRiver12, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Today I purchased my first medium format film camera. Its a Rolleicord III TLR. Its manufacturing date is between 1950 and 1953. Shes quite old but everything seems to be working smoothly and in great shape.

Ill be getting my film developed at a shop in downtown Austin until I have my own dark room set up. I shot film and developed through highschool but once I moved into college, everything was digital. So its been 6 years since Ive shot film but hopefully I wont have any problems.

As I get pictures, Ill load them up here for you all to enjoy/criticize/say whatever you want about them. Main reason why Id like to post them up is to see how I progress over time.

If you wish to see my digital pictures, they can be seen here: Flickr: SoulfulRecover's Photostream

Some pics of the "new" camera:

[​IMG]

the leather case that came with it

[​IMG]

still has one of the previous owners name in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tried to get some pics of the glass back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, I hope you follow along :wave:

2. Finally got back my negatives. I had no real way to upload them so I set my computer back ground to white and then used my camera to take a picture of the negative. then loaded them into photoshop and inverted the photo to come out with a positive and cropped it down. the computer screen created the cross hatching in the pictures so sorry about that but for now its the only way to get them up here.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by TestPhotos123, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this one came out over exposed

[​IMG]

all the the others were over exposed or ended up not lining up right and having weird half multiple shots on the same frame kinda thing. just glad to see the camera works. now to go out and take some real pictures now that i know it works!

:)

3. Dude, you need to get a scanner, lol.

Get your negatives scanned when you develop them.

Using a digital camera to make positives from negatives is like the worst of both worlds. Sorry, a little bit harsh, but I'd really like to see some proper scans (good contrast, sharper, no cross-hatching, etc.).

Exciting on the "new" camera though. How much do you know about setting up a home darkroom? I'm currently in the process of setting one up and am a little apprehensive about getting proper alignment in the enlarger.

About the photos, well, let's see some scans! :)

4. I'd love to see some proper scans as well. Medium format allows for so much detail. I have the Kodak equivalent of your new camera though. I really need to purchase some film for that thing to see if it's working correctly.

5. Duaflex?

6. Kodak Reflex II. You know a good place to buy 620 film? I think you can spool 120 on it, but I'm not sure how I'd go about that.

7. I didnt get prints or scans of this set because I had no idea if the camera even worked so it was just a test shoot.

Once I get out and take some decent photos Ill have prints and get them scanned with a nice scanner.

I do know how to use a dark room and was looking at a setup a local guy was selling. I havent done it in 6 years though so Im sure Ill be rusty and Ill need to practice a bit.

8. She's fucking SEXY. ;D

9. shes my GF, Shes Greek/Native American :D

10. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiittttttttttt. More pictures of her? :smoke::smoke::smoke:

11. Shes sitting next to me making my a beanie so I told her.

she laughed

hahaha

12. Omggggg. She's a goddess.

13. This is great.

Wonderful concentration/connection. :)

14. Thank you :)

I need to make a nice print of that one

15. Hey man, have you brought out your TLR lately or scanned any of your negatives? Very beutiful camera. I've held a Lubitel before which is very similar, and it looks like it'd be amazing to use and get perfect framing.

This shot is my favourite: