Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Muskwa's No Bake Chocolate Cannanut Butter Coconut Nutty Cookies

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by muskwa, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ***Credit to SmokeeTheBear for his Canna-Peanut Butter recipe which is used as part of my no-bake cookie recipe :)

Please read the recipe through before making it. I have additional notes at the bottom of the recipe for substitutions & ingredient alternatives.

Ingredients
    2 cups sugar (I personally use 1 cup sugar / 1 cup Splenda)
    4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
    1/2 cup butter (one stick) [can use cannabutter for high intensity in cookie]
    1 cup smooth creamy peanut butter (cannanut butter)
    4 grams of cannabis bud (finely chopped/grinded) to make Cannanut Butter
    3 to 6 grams of cannabis bud (finely chopped/grinded) to fold into cookie mix
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 heavy cream (whipping cream)
    1/2 cup coursely chopped cashews or almonds
    1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
    1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    3 cups rolled oats, uncooked
    pinch of salt
    pinch of cinnamon (1/4 teaspoon)

Directions

Prepare the Cannanut butter first.
    Pre-heat oven to 325F.
    Take 1 cup peanut butter & 3g of finely ground cannabis bud & mix together in a glass bowl, whisk or blend until throughally mixed. I use a hand egg-beater/blender to mix cannabis & peanut butter. Once cannabis & peanut butter are well mixed. Use a spatula and put the blended cannanet butter mix into a METAL bread pan in one big pile (do not spread evenly). Once all cannanut butter is in the bread pan, cover with foil & place into preheated oven for 25 minutes.

While Cannanut butter bakes, get the rest of your ingredients pre-measured & ready to make the cookies. Once Cannanut butter has been in the oven for 25 minutes, remove & let stand to cool. Continue to prepare cookies as follows;

In a side mixing bowl, mix in oatmeal, coconut, coursely chopped nuts, and mix together to form a well mixed 'dry mix' that you will add later into the wet mixture.

In large saucepan or dutch oven, combine sugar(Splenda), milk, heavy cream, cocoa, salt, cinnamon, and butter and mix ingredients constantly over med-high heat until disolved & mixed well. Increase heat to high, stiring constantly and bring the ingredients to a boil, stirring constantly to mix sugar crystals back into boiling heat. You can cover the saucepan between the ongoing stirring sessions to allow steaming mixture to wash/melt sugar crystals down the sides of saucepan. Keep saucepan mixture at a full boil for a MINIMUM of 1 minute to assure all sugar melts & creats smooth creamy cookies (if you don't boil for at least 1 minute, you will notice sugar crystal-like texture to cookies).

Once you have boiled & stired ingredients for 1 minutes, Remove from heat and stir in Cannanut(peanut) butter from the bread pan, and add vanilla, stir until smoothly mixed. Then mix in 3 to 6 grams of finely ground cannabis & the semisweet chocolate chips, and stir until chocolate chips are almost melted & cannabis is well mixed into mixture. Then add & fold in oatmeal and dry mix ingredients well. You must use quick-cooking oatmeal as it is essential to the success of this recipe. Stir/fold mixture until dry ingredients are absorbed and covered by the liquid mixture.

Drop cookie mixture by teaspoon spoonfuls onto waxed paper or parchment lined baking sheets or Silpat sheets. Let stand to cool until cookie mixture has set as a solid cookie; Let cool completely; store tightly covered at room temperature. Alternatively, you can also pour the cookie mixture into a 9" square pan that has been greased with unsalted butter, let cool, then cut into squares.

Other variations you can stir in 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins with the oats as well. You will find that these cookies, when cooked with 50% Splenda mix instead of using all sugar; it will lower the sweetness of the cookie somewhat. You can also substitute the 1/2 cup of regular butter and use Cannabutter to increase the end result intensity of your cookies as well. If you do not wish to use the semisweet chocolate chips, increase the recipe's amount of cocoa used to six (6) Tablespoons. If you choose not to use coconut in your cookies, you may wish to add 1/2 cup extra oatmeal to keep cookie mixture consistency.

See my attached pictures for the final wax-paper dropped cookies :) I find the best cookie intensity when I use 4g of cannabis in mixing up the peanut butter, and another 6 grams of cannabis mixed in the cookie mixture. When I make teaspoon sized (1" to 2" sized) cookies, it takes two to four cookies to get a nice relaxing sensation going. I hope that I have explained my recipe in a clear fashion and that you enjoy my cookie recipe! :)

Makes about 3 dozen or so delicious cookies.

Pictures of my latest batch of Muskwa's No Bake Chocolate Cannanut Butter Coconut Nutty Cookies;

Attached Files:

2. Looks delicious...

3. They are delicious :) I find using 1/2 Splenda for the sugar content, and mixing the cocoa with semi-sweet for the chocolate content makes for a smooth, less-sweet chocolate flavor.

The Cannanut Butter (cannabis peanut butter) flavor comes through nicely. In teaspoon spooning out the cookies I found I had to get them onto the wax paper quickly, as it does not take long for the mixture to start to harden.

I've also made the above recipe and then spread the mixture out into a pre-buttered 8x12 glass pan; works out to be about 1" or so thick across the entire pan. I let it stand for one hour, then I score lines with a knife for the pan full, into 2" squares, and then let sit for another hour. At that time I can usually score around the edges of the pan & flip the pan and have 2 dozen squares of the no bake cookies. This method has less muck'in around with the teaspoon in dropping the cookies as well.

Either way, yes, they come out as a nice canna-treat :)

4. #4 BadKittySmiles, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012

It's good to see that you have an interest in edible cannabis, and it's a good start. :)

But this recipe is all over the place, and due to incorrect processing, the vast marjoty of the herb goes to waste!

Much of the canna remains raw, or virtually raw, the rest is only just barely processed well enough to begin the extraction, and is no where near complete OR activated by consumption. :eek:

Just remember folks that this is the cannabis edible section, and that tossing ground herb directly into cookie batter or any recipe is NOT how edibles are made, and they will NOT get you medicated this way!

It's why we have so many failed edible stories, and dosage misconceptions... improper processing, screws things up!

I guarantee you that these methods do not work any better, than chomping down on some raw buds... meaning that for the majority of people with any amount of tolerance, they don't work at all, even if you eat the entire batch made with multiple times your average dose :p

Why, and what went wrong?

- The oil fir the first batch of canna is diluted in peanut solids, and your canna for the remainder of the recipe is blended in other even less-oily ingredients.

- Your material and the potency it contains (ie. your cannabinoids), which was only just barely heated in peanut butter, is not even active.

- Even firecrackers require less peanut butter and a longer cook, and the folks who have the most success often add an extra 30 or so degrees as well... and they are still 'worst case scenario' edibles, where people knowingly sacrifice potency, in exchange for the stealth of the process.

- Continuing on the last point, a cup of peanut butter, even smoothed and thinned out in a 5 - 8" bread pan, may be thicker and more dense than a firecracker, and is likely not going to be capable of heating up as quickly as a teaspoon or two in a cracker.

- What's even worse, a cup of peanut butter, intentionally left in a pile, is going to take a few moments to even melt down, if it ever does depending on the consistency, delaying the time the center is heated even further... canna oil and butter is not made by barely heating to a luke-warm temperature, then removing from heat! :p

- The several grams added at the end, is not even exposed to any heat besides to melt the chips, meaning there was no amount of activation, or extraction, meaning it will be at least month or more, before it can do much of anything for you.

To help it makes sense...

In other words, even if it was pure oil and not diluted in chocolate chips and peanut solids, a heatless or virtually heatless extraction would take several weeks, up to a month or longer, and it's STILL best to activate or decarb first!!! :eek:

You have a TON of reading to do, OP!

Good thing you're in the right place for it, and you and your friends will be SO gland you did :D

Have a look around, check out the stickies and a few of Storm Crow's links on metabolizing and digesting cannabis, and you'll be well on your way to clearing all this up. :)

Just follow a proper canna oil recipe next time, and you'll have some real edibles :hello:

Good luck, and have fun! :wave:

5. Kitty your knowledge blows my mind. Serious.

6. Wow, first let me start with a thank you to BadKittySmiles. You've helped steer me in a direction to better understand decarbing.

In pointing out many faults to my novice attempt of edibles; I would appreciate discussing and outlining ways of improving the recipe.

Ok, from this input; I would assume (and would like your correction if I've misunderstood) - that in adding cannabis to the mix does not give it adequate temperature to decarb. That I should take the 6g I folded into the mix, and instead mix/make cannabutter with the recipe required 1/2 cup. So should I have added the 6g to the butter in advance of the recipe. Doing the heat & mix of butter & product - then chill/solidify mixture for 12hrs, re-heat it, then strain it & refrigerate to use in recipe next day (later). That had I went through this additional process I would have achieved better results with decarbing the 6g that went into the batter? - Am I correct with this understanding?

So you are saying that taking the 4g that I incorporated into the peanut butter wasn't sufficiently decarbed either? The bud I had added was very finely ground for better mixing. The ground bud & peanut butter was mixed with a hand blender/mixer that also aerated the mixture as well. The clump quickly melted in the metal bread pan & spread across the entire pan; but yes, pre-leveling would help with even heat distribution.

Barely heated? Ok. elaborate please. So 25 minutes wasn't enough? At what temperature & for how long is best for decarbing (obviously this must also vary based upon content of intended mixture (such as whether or not it is oil/fat based mixture, which would incorporate faster than non fat mixtures.

Should I look at my cooking decarbing temperatures like those of using a vaporizer? That ideally I should aim to have my mixtures cooked between 185C [356F] to 195C [385] range, and maintained temp for 2-5 minutes, depending on what the mixture is? Your review pointed out issues, but didn't go into to many practical approaches as solutions to the problems of mixing for optimal outcome; such as enhancements to the flawed methods I've used in my first go around.

Granted given the 1000s of post within edibles section, I haven't read all the recipes to glean knowledge from other canaguru's like yourself :) I am working at digesting a good read of 4 to 8 posts an evening - and I'm enjoying the tidbits that I am picking up from all the other wonderful GrassCity forum participants :)

If optimal decarbing of cannabis is through a fat/oil water soluble mixture, such as EVOO; then should one not bother with general recipes and simply blend a stiff mixture cannaoil and use it as a daily shot of goodness? Or doe s it come down to making base items, such as cannaoil & cannabutter for general cooking and incorporating those into day to day cooking for canna-benefits? Is there a differential approach in primarily striving to bring out cannabinoids based benefits over a THC high - or are they married in their time of release in decarbing; or does one come out easier (first) at lower temperatures or take longer periods to release? I know 1001 newb' questions; I'm trying to absorb as much as I can, but there is a lot of reading... I've picked up 6 books on medicial use of cannabinoids which I'm also working my way through as evening reading material. Lots, lots, lots to absorb. :) I look forward to understanding even more.

What would be your ideal methodology where one will not sacrifice potency, in exchange for the stealth of the process? How to most effectively and efficiently, maximize potential gain minimizing product loss/abuse.

That I do, and believe I mentioned that fact already. I do appreciate the time individuals like yourself take to reply; educate, promote awareness, and otherwise support & improve the special interest community as a whole.

I haven't come across Storm Crow's links yet, but I'll be watching for them now :) I look to forward to my time reading in the forums; and sincerely appreciate the shared wisdom of those who have trekked into the culinary wonders cannabis. As medically licensed cannabis user, I am looking for simple ways of effectively and efficiently maximizing potential gain while minimizing product loss/abuse. Whether the end result is a shot of cannaEVOO or cannaoil/butter use in day to day cooking as medical aide instead of having to vapor or smoke. But at this point I'm looking for efficiency and ease of dosage. If you could share what you would feel is the simplest & most effective edible path for effectively and efficiently, maximize potential gain minimizing product loss/abuse - I would appreciate you taking the time to share that with me. :)

Yes, it is enjoyable to experiment with edible recipe incorporation of cannabis in recipes. But given life's limitations of schedules and events, it would be nice to have something that is simple, effective, and maximizes the benefits for amount of product used in the process that can be accessed day to day as a reliable concoction. What is the best absorption method (high heat? how hot 325? (or 365? like a vaporizer), what base product? oil? butter? heated milk? boiling water?

Speaking of boiling water, I've heard that blanching product before being incorporated for decarbing, can help remove taste/smell. But wouldn't the heat of blanching cause decarbing and cause some potency loss? I imagine there is a thread on this topic somewhere - I'll have to do some searching. :)

Again Kitty - I appreciate you taking the time to share some of your canna-wisdom with me; and I look forward to learning more from you and others within GrassCity forums :) Look forward to future discussions with you Kitty, thanks again :)

7. PS: Kitty - I've read through your signature link & related posts; I think I'll be trying to make some of those Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Canna 'Bombs' this weekend :)

I can see in reading your recipes for the bombs, and your work on hash capsules that the 180-200C temp range is important; and that you make reference to the 'browning' of the mixture that is also an indicator in using a vaporizer. I'll be doing some serious decarbing into the oils / butter this weekend, and look forward to comparing outcomes of previous attempts of canna-cook'in :) Interesting about keeping the decarbing process tightly covered the whole time - but given the vaporization temperatures, it makes a lot of sense.

What is that comment about 10 hours at 180-200C for the oil/butter/herb mixture, modifying heat to maintain temp, monitoring with a candy thermometer??? 10 hours??? 10 hrs of decarbing the mixture, really? Wowzer - guess that answers my question of how long to decarb for maximum benefit from product used. :) Guess one could setup to do the decarbing the day before making the bombs and allow the mixture to also settle overnight before reheating & straining.

Out of curiosity, do you know of additional process(es) that can be used to decrease the smell/flavor of herb in recipes? Or will decarbing as you outline for a long period negate smell/flavor concerns of the canna-oil mixture?

I'll have to go pick up a couple other oils you've mentioned; but I've got 80% of the materials in my kitchen to make the bombs this weekend :) BTW, interesting warning about the coconut oil as a laxative, hehe - something I didn't know about coconut oil :)

Cheers! Enjoy your week Kitty!

-=Muskwa=-

8. Yes Kush&Chips, Kitty's canna-knowledge is mind blowing :) It's nice to meet people like her that are willing to reach out & help a person learn & improve one's canna-skill set :)

Cheers!

-=Muskwa=-