mushroom compost

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 864Blazen, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Anyone out there ever used mushroom compost or ever gratification anyone using it?

2. mushroom compost is not an accurate term. Spent mushroom substrate would be it. disadvantages include compaction, salinity, and residual pesticides. at the bottom of the "preferred compost" list (if it may be called compost).

3. [quote name='"hope2toke"']mushroom compost is not an accurate term. Spent mushroom substrate would be it. disadvantages include compaction, salinity, and residual pesticides. at the bottom of the "preferred compost" list (if it may be called compost).[/quote]

So what are u saying.....that it isn't a compost?

4. purdy much. Give it a test, buy a can of redworms- usually around $5-10. redworms, eisenia fetida, eat compost and reproduce for a living. try feeding them the different composts - composted horse manure, chicken manure, goat, llama, etc. after a few weeks sieve the worms out and use the finished worm compost at %25 of your transplant mix... see if that doesn't grow you some mean plants....

5. [quote name='"hope2toke"']purdy much. Give it a test, buy a can of redworms- usually around $5-10. redworms, eisenia fetida, eat compost and reproduce for a living. try feeding them the different composts - composted horse manure, chicken manure, goat, llama, etc. after a few weeks sieve the worms out and use the finished worm compost at %25 of your transplant mix... see if that doesn't grow you some mean plants....[/quote]

Man I have no clue what your saying.....I got a biddy that owns a landscaping company and he just gave me a bag that said "mushroom compost" that's all I know about it.. and how do I get all the other composts?

6. I have used it several times with success. At the time I was also using bottled nutes. Now I am using my own ewc and using old composted logs, 20 years old. It is good but some is dense and some is sandy, I live in hot humid climate so I like the sandy with the better drainage. The Black Kow is too dense so if I have to get that one I add sand before I use it in the mix and as a top dress add lil good top soil or potting soil to it. I kinda go on smells and textures and instinct as it relates to nature and what I have done in the past so I can't explain it but if you play in dirt a lot you will get it.:D

7. I have used it to grow produce and cannabis. I mend it into the soil and the plants love it. Ive heard of people using compost only with good results.

8. [quote name='"fayn2madness"']

I have used it several times with success. At the time I was also using bottled nutes. Now I am using my own ewc and using old composted logs, 20 years old. It is good but some is dense and some is sandy, I live in hot humid climate so I like the sandy with the better drainage. The Black Kow is too dense so if I have to get that one I add sand before I use it in the mix and as a top dress add lil good top soil or potting soil to it. I kinda go on smells and textures and instinct as it relates to nature and what I have done in the past so I can't explain it but if you play in dirt a lot you will get it.:D[/quote]

[quote name='"MIjbr90190"']I have used it to grow produce and cannabis. I mend it into the soil and the plants love it. Ive heard of people using compost only with good results.[/quote]

Thanks guys......I just got this for free and I want to grow with out any nutes at all just a straight up water grow