Muscle Relaxer and lifting

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by jewbelieve, Aug 1, 2009.

1. I lift 4 to 5 days a week with cardio mixed to both on and off days.
    3 to 4 months ago i sort of took a tumble down my stairs (was wearing socks, home for summer, new home and it has wooden stairs, needless to say i slipped) I ended up hurting my lower back. I gave it time and it got better, as of 2 and a half weeks ago, i got done lifting and at the end, i just bent over to pick a very light bar up and bam, i feel this pinch... Yep take a week off awesome.!!! So i worked out again starting this week and it is kinda soar, but not like it was. O and i got a prescription for muscle relaxers, i take only when i hurt my self both times, and was not lifting...

Simply my question is, can i lift, have my protien and all the goods, and then take a muscle relaxer before i go to bed and still have growth.
    Sorry my doctor is a family friend, so i can get good prescriptions, and the muscle relaxer are like advil or motrin on steroids lol...
    I am lifting a lot, and only take a pill maybe once a week if i am really in pain and dont want to wake up with a back that feels like its broken.

So do any of yall know if it is bad to be lifting and taking muscle relaxers...
    I figured as long as dont lift the day after taking one, i should not have any muscle tears or pulls and also still get my growth... I just dont want to be an idiot and hurt myself worse, any and all opinions facts are welcomed!

2. So I'm not a medical doctor, but have used some muscle relaxants (Flexaril, Soma) for similar issues. You shouldn't have any problem working out and taking them. I presume you are only taking some protien supplements, maybe some creatine or a multivitamin. You will be ok taking these, but you might use caution if you are stacking a bunch of other muscle building/prohormone/steroid supplements.

I find they really put me out, and I need a good 8 or 9 hours of sleep (so don't take them if you have to get up early). You will gain a tolerance too them, and they won't knock you out too much after a week or so.

You might be interested in checking out some yoga (lots of free itunes podcasts) to work on your flexibility and help strengthen/prevent injury. Your lower back is critical; take care of it!

3. Great answer, and thanks. I was thinking about trying something like that out, to help my lower back, as it is so key in every muscle when lifting!