Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Munchies and weight loss

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by weedian, Oct 31, 2011.

1. I wan't sure where to put this but I figured seasoned tokers might have useful experience/knowledge in this area.

Basically, I started enjoying MJ again this year after about a 15 year T-break. Around the same time I started experimenting with my diet to lose the belly I gained over the summer vacation from eating/drinking too much. I reduced my serving sizes and exercised snacking restraint. I lost about 6kg and am back at my ideal weight for height.

Meanwhile, people have started commenting on how I look thin(ner than before). What's interesting is that friends back home (where I'm not now) haven't noticed. Whatever, right?

Anyway, I did about of sleuthing and tried to find out about the biological reasons for why most of us get "munchies". What I learned was not much. Apparently MJ stimulates certain enzymes/hormones(?) the function of which is to tell the body it is hungry (I learned this first hand earler this year when sick, MJ to the rescue, fixed lack of appetite, body aches and severity of a fever I had).

What I want to know is this:

If MJ stimulates appetite, is this psychological, physiological both or none of the above?
    I wonder because perhaps my increased appetite at night after meals may be causing my body to "work" harder and burn off excess energy/calories and partly explain the success of my weight loss.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Research?

2. Thanks for that... currently at work so I can't visit the site!

(somehow GC slips through the firewall cracks)

Could you give me the gist until I get home?

3. Granny has an entire article about this.
    Hit her up.

4. Hey, thanks. Does "granny" have anything else on here name? Cos I searched by user name and there's a few more Grannies than I thought!

5. It's physiological, and your metabolism does not increase.

6. Marijuana Slims? Why Pot Smokers Are Less Obese

Granny 'Storm Crow'