MUAHAHA who said i wasnt prepared to grow??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mrdulin, Aug 6, 2011.

1. #61 rain dancer, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    I'm curious as to your electric bill as well. The funny thing nobody seems to understand when they first start growing is that it doesn't cost that much to run an HID light. I ran a 600 watt HPS 12 hours a day for months and my bill increased 15-20 dollars and nothing more. On top of that, cfls don't compete with HID. It's just not the same. The first time you hookup a hid and turn it on, it's blinding and honestly unbelievable. So exciting the first time that you swear instantly never go back to cfls.

I used the same setup both grows. Nothing different, same nutes, room, time of year, temps, same seeds. Only thing different second time around was my hid light. At some point, having 20 cfls is using the same electricity as an HID with probably 1/8 the result. Your buds wont get as big, produce as much thc, smell as nice, or be as rewarding. The difference between hids and cfls is ounces and pounds.

It's essentially the same as having a full time job, 3-5 months long and getting paid with weed that is less potent than mids and only having an ounce or two maybe as payment for 3-5 months of work....Sure, there's the excitement of growing, sure there's the excitement of harvesting and then the high that you think is the shit cuz it's your first grow and you're proud of that. Good for you.

Then you grow up a little, buy some lights, do the exact same work as before and watch how your plants get bigger and dense and heavy (they'll never get that heavy with cfls, just airy) and surpass your last grows bud size and dankness and weight, and stink in the first two weeks of flower. Then at the end of your second or third grow, you're having to buy 10-20 mason jars for 3-5 plants. You end up having enough bud to last you a year and half instead of a month or two. You spend the same time, same power, same everything and get 10x the results. Plus, if you get a tent and plastic tub, you can fit it all in there to put away after you're done.

Nobody here is gonna tell you not to grow, not to experiment or try new things. More power to you for that. We're just trying to hook you up with information to discourage you experiencing the same disappointment many of us have. Go ahead and believe that cfls are the way. More power to you. Just keep in mind, when you say stuff like that, it's clear to those of us who've grown using better lights that you don't know what you're talking about and haven't "really" grown yet. But I'm sure when you've spent enough money doing it the wrong way and getting frustrated, you'll come around. They always do. Peace.

2. I don't think you could have been anymore condescending. Some people don't have the space for a HID or the money for the much needed ventilation system when using one, or that extra $20 a month for electric bill. For people like me, growing one plant at a time CFLs are a good alternative. People just don't know how to use them.

3. Happy too get that off your chest??

4. #64 rain dancer, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

I didn't use ventilation at all when growing. I used a cheap fan to blow air in and out. Worked perfectly too. You don't know my situation and I didn't think I could afford it either, but there was no alternative. You can make all the excuses you want, but there's still no comparison between the two.

Kinda confused by your use of "too" as in also. What was your point? If you're bothered by my experiment, all I can say is, "truth hurts." No reason to get butthurt or take it personally.

Edit: My intention wasn't to offend anyone. My use of "then you grow up" was my way of saying, then you go big, I didn't mean to belittle those who are growing with cfls. I was just trying to offer advice based on experience, much experience in fact. If you haven't grown with hids, the first time you do, you will be utterly amazed, no doubt.

If you want to try a cheap alternative to cfls, buy some of those hids for car headlights on ebay and use those. I saw a grow where a guy used those instead of cfls and the results were comparable to an hid grow, using the wattage of cfls. I couldn't believe it at first, but it works, it's cheap. His experiment failed, because he underestimated the lights, thinking like cfls they wouldn't grow as fast. He went on vacation for a few days, came back and to his surprise, they had grown into the lights and burnt. Might be a better "alternative," for those on a budget.

Edit #2. If anyone is interested in the automotive hids vs cfls thread I bookmarked, pm me. I saved it from another forum from about 2 years ago. The results of the grow were remarkable tbh. I almost went with these in place of cfls because of the price.

5. LOL i was laughing to myself when i read your post and was thinking you must be getting angry with the OP.

My point was I bet if felt good to rant and rave for a min. Cos you cant seem to put sense into the OP.

6. Well honestly, I'm of the belief that common sense is not a common feature, or ever has been. Some have it, some don't. I personally think this has to do with one's own motivation. It wasn't so much a rant as an explanation imo, but you can take it how you want.

7. this is a dumb thread

8. you have a bunch of cocky plant growers that think they know everything when they just need to know more ''oh i have grown and harvest so many plants that i know everything about the plant soon as it sprouts." and common sense? You have to know basics to just have common sense into what your getting your self into. A lot of people don't even know basics. So all of you guys that know everything chill out

9. And just for the question. How does light affect THC? I mean isn't that just genetically in the strains? So how would light affect of it being less potent.

10. THC is a sunscreen for the plant, so the more light the more THC...

11. then why the fuck are you reading it and quoting in it troll nobody cares what you think what you think about them apples.

12. for cfls 6500k is daylight and 2700k is soft white

13. @ ocalli: No everyone is just dissing this thread with negative comments and its annoying.
    @toasty: that makes sense thanks!

14. my bill might have gone up mabe 5 bucks if that so there ya go anything else

15. plus i never said cfls are the only way i simply responded to what he was asking about cfls and i also have hid lighting and led im experimenting with all of them and also im really not concerned about what you think honestly my grows are going extremly well sorry i dont aim to grow 50 plants and try to get 30 lbs out of the deal i have no need for that much im not a grower to supply anything but my own smoke period so why dont you ask simple questions about my action before you think you know me or what my agenda is and yes i can almost gurantee that mabe not me but the people i do know grow more shit than your momma can shake a stick at and i also helped to trim and setup these amazing grows :p

16. you deleted because you said this and i quote "I stopped reading halfway through because you ramble on like a teenage girl. Ever heard of a period? Honestly, since that seems to be your favorite word, I don't know why the fuck you felt the need to single me out. I never responded to you once in this thread and probably haven't read a thing you posted here, since it's hard to understand just what it is you be trying to say my homie g dog foo izzle you feel me/? Seriously, not gonna respond anymore. You like growing with cfls, I couldn't care any less."

lol i never responded to you once that shows how fried your puny little brain is and whats with all the stupid slang you think your some gang banger or sumthing and i singled you out because you singled me out think before you post or type no room for trolling kids in which you proved you are :ey: