Mr. Meaner's First Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Mister Meaner, Jul 20, 2010.

1. saw you're using nirvana seeds. I bought some master kush from them and they didnt even germinate. soo bummed.

2. That's a drag SP. So far I have a 100% success rate. One out of one!!! What method did you use? I used a wet paper towel on a baggie on top of a flourecent light ballast. Popped in less than a day.

3. #23 Mister Meaner, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
    I did a res change yesterday and found some brown stuff on the airstones and in the bottom of the bucket. I thought it was from the hydroton, not rinsing well enough, but now it is on the roots of my plant! Ugh... I guess I will be going to the hydro store today. I could use H2O2 but I have heard that people get better results with Hygrozyme. Plus my nutes are organic so... Might as well give it a shot.
    Any other ideas???

Edit. I cleaned it all up with H2O2 for now and will do another res change tonight with a fresh bucket, some nutes and the hydrozyme. Fingers crossed...

4. While doing the latest res change and cleaning I also found...

Wait for it...

Tiny green bugs! Yay!
    Ugh...

5. #25 Mister Meaner, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
    So what I thought was root rot turns out to be brown algae. (Thanks to Budslinger for the clarification!) So treatment for that and the aphids is underway. I made a homemade soap/oil spray for the bugs and I am trying the H202 and improved lightproofing for the algae. I don't know if it will mess up my botanicare nutes, but right now I really don't have a choice I guess.

Seems like I am also due for a new photo...

[​IMG]

6. im glad your getting thoes problems sused bro i have a bit of an algae problem but hasnt overall affected the grow to much? thanks a mean looking seedling tho how many days did it take to get to that from the day you got the seed can u remember

7. The pic above is 2 weeks and a day from when I got the seed.
    But those problems are far from sused! My Ph has been through the roof, I had white foam scum developing and I overdid the aphid spray! She looks like hell now, but better than last night for sure. I half expected to be ripping it out this morning. Instead I did a res change and she has perked up a bit. Still not where I want her to be, but better.
    [​IMG]

8. mmm yeah look like shes taken a beating they're hardy though she should come back for ya i hope? i have never had problem with aphids? is the grow round the garden or shed or sumin? hope she pulls through :eek:

9. No. It is in my basement!? No idea how they got in. Plenty of spiders around though, thought maybe they might help with some of the pests.

10. yeah hopefully your spiders get em, there is a wasp that you can buy that you put in your growing area and it will go lay its eggs inside the aphid and the egg growing will grow and explode the aphids from the inside out, thats the waps job hahah funny that.
    it's a scene straight out of a horror film - you look around and see dead bodies everywhere. They haven't just been killed either, they've been hollowed out from the inside-out leaving behind grotesque mummified shells. What would you do if you were confronted with such a macabre scene? Flee? Well, if you were an aphid, you'd probably just feel relieved and go about your business. Aphids, it seems, find security among the corpses of their peers. Aphids, like almost all insects, are the targets of parasitic wasps that implant eggs inside their bodies. On hatching, the wasp grubs use the aphid as a living larder and eat their way out, leaving behind a mummified aphid-shaped husk.
    These husks ought to be (quite literally) a dead give-away that parasites are afoot, valuable intel for any animal. But far from treating these bodies as a sign of danger, aphids actually see them as a reason to stick around. As Fievet says, "In human history, mummies had long been known to protect the dead; our study shows that in nature, mummies can also protect the living.

id prob just buy some stuff from the mart, but i have herd that it is a effectinve way to keep it under controll

11. I have been needing to lower the PH 3x a day, and she was not bouncing back from that rough spell as fast as I thought she should. I decided to blast it with nutes. A few hours later she seems to be looking better, and the PH has stopped climbing as quickly. Is it possible that the nute defiency was causing the PH spike?

12. #32 Mister Meaner, Aug 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2010
    Warning! The following post contains graphic pictures of a very abused plant! If you are pregnant, have a heart condition, have recently had surgery, or have a weak constitution, please do not look.

It sucks, but I am laughing about it anyway. I was going to rip it out but I might as well let it grow and see what I get.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Ouch dude! Sorry you had that experience your first grow. That nute solution seems a bit advanced in my honest opinion. Go grab a bottle of FloraNovaBloom, you can use it for veg AND flowering. Just follow the instructions on the bottle until you get a feel for what your plants need!

14. i use botanicar nutes (pure blend pro) and it drops my PH.. i dont even need PH down, just PH up.

15. yeah that is pretty harsh bro dont give up just get another one going no worries only a few weeks behind... you'll be right just get another one germinating straight away

16. Things seem to be going better. PH has been steady for the first time in a while and some new growth is starting to happen.
    I can't start another plant right now because I will be away for a while in November. I need to harvest before then. We will see.

17. ill pray for that little thing..

18. I don't believe in prayer... But thanks for the sentiment anyway!
    There is some new growth coming from the center, and the color us much improved. I raised the nutes up to about 800ppm and it seems to be helping quite a bit.
    [​IMG]

19. that little guy needs it bro... good ta see you still got him cranking awae though if it pulls through you got a tough little mistro growing there.... hope she does though... and algood ill put positive thorts out into the universe how bout that

20. Haha, they are your thoughts to do with what you please. Like I said , I appreciate the sentiments!!!