Moving to the UK

Discussion in 'General' started by RGB, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Hey,

I'm from New Zealand and I'm heading up to the UK in a few months time, going to travel and work for a while.

I'm based in London for a few weeks, I'm looking forward to visiting but not sure if that's where I'd like to live.

What's the general feel about other cities in the UK? Or feedback on chill places to live in/around London?

:)

2. I thought New Zealand was in the United Kingdom. Shows how much I know about geography I guess haha

3. #3 Trefoil, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014

The geography curriculum must be terrible in your country. 

OP, London is amazing, but can be a little overwhelming. FYI London is 10 times bigger+more populous than any other UK city, you probably won't have time to see it all. I'd say the coolest parts to stick to would be the East End, North East London is where it's at. Hackney/Camden = London's Brooklyn. It's the place all the cool kids go. The rich and famous flock to the West, if you have money then West London's the place. South London if you have no dolla and you don't mind possibly living in the hood,

Edinburgh or Glasgow in Scotland, Manchester or Birmingham in England.. these are the vibrant places :)

4. SW6, Hit up Stamford Bridge and cheer the Chels!

5. I like London but only really to visit, it's too busy for my liking, but that's mainly because I'm from right up North where the populations are a bit smaller.

Manchester is supposed to be pretty nice as well which I think is a slightly smaller city but as lively as London.

6. i have no idea. i have always wanted to go to the UK. England not so much but Ireland fuck yea!!
    The UK dropped off their prisoners at Australia and NZ way back in the day

7. Go to the west country at some point - check out Bath, Bristol, Stonehenge, Cheddar Gorge, Wells and Glastonbury. You'll need at least a week to fit all those in, and at least 2 days to explore Bristol. It might be wise to start chatting to some of the London based blades in the UK pick up thread too.

8. Most of Ireland isn't part of the UK, fyi. Just saving you from saying the wrong thing in an Irish pub :)

9. I have the biggest love/hate relationship with London. As it goes, "when a man is tired of London he is tired of life," but the grind of the city never really suited me. I did like you, OP, and left my country to live and work for a while - UK to Oz. I found something I liked and ended up staying permanently. Best of luck with your endeavours. :smoke:

To echo the Captain above, don't ever go to Ireland and call it "the UK."

The country really isn't that big and getting around is cheap enough that you could circle the whole country to find the right place for you. I grew up in the southeast corner, but it's mostly small towns and quiet nights. If you want a city, but not London, my two favorites are Manchester or Edinburgh. If I had to set up shop anywhere though, I'd be in Cornwall in the southwest. Small population, but the landscape and surf are all I need.

10. I'd avoid London personally, too busy, too expensive. Don't come to Newcastle where I live... It's filled with morons. 

If I was gonna move anywhere I'd go up to Scotland personally, the Highlands or somewhere. Used to visit there as a kid and it was just incredibly peaceful and had beautiful scenery. I dunno. Good luck.

11. Newcastle isn't that bad!

12. It is when you've lived here 20 years of your life. Or maybe I just have a natural hate towards most of the people that live here. But I won't get into that haha.

13. Fair enough. I live nearby and go into town every now and again, suppose you are right about the morons though aka the Geordie shore wannabes.

14. london is a shithole and i have no clue why tourists come here. 

15. Get to the midlands and get your head down!

Big blazin!

16. harrogate - north yorkshire. beautiful place surrounded by beautiful villages

17. Cos if it's history, attractions, variety of areas and cultures etc? Where you from in London that makes the whole city seem shit?

18. croydon

19. That might just be why haha. Think yourself lucky to not be from some identikit shithole like Swindon or Basingstoke.

20. London alright for a day out but to live there I would find it annoying. But a lot of people like it! The London Underground will pretty much take u anywhere and quickly but it's busy and full of busy people, so if your not in the fast lane maybe London ain't for you, there might be some chill places there but I haven't found any, not tht I've been looking! I been to visit a few times an contemplated living there. I used to live in Manchester n now am living in the midlands and tbf the midlands are quite chill!