Moving to Canada. eh

Discussion in 'General' started by ipack, Dec 5, 2006.

1. I've been thinking about this a lot recently, and I've decided to move to Canada. Either B.C. or Ontario, haven't decided yet.

I've had it with this country, I really have. I'd like to thank Rasta_man and eric for helping to open up my eyes a little bit. I wasn't really a flag waving patriot when i joined, but their informative posts have helped to open my eyes. I know i never commented or posted in those threads guys, but they were read and read over and again.

The last straw came this afternoon when I was denied certain VA benefits that I should have been eligible for. I have fucking injuries that i sustained while serving my country, and they can't even fucking take care of me. (I don't want to go into the whole story, but it involves medical benefits).

The october legislation that prohibited online gambling (actually, it prohibits the financial institutions from transferring money to the sites) really bothered me. Our wonderful congress slipped it in with a port security bill that was a lock to get signed into law. fucking sleazes.

Now, there is basically a 200 day grace period before financial companies in the US are forced to comply with the law, and the noose will tighten. These are publicly traded financial companies, and will eventually face pressure and lawsuits from shareholders if they don't comply with the bill.

I've got about 2 g's in savings (mainly from online poker), and this year will be a year that I will concentrate on saving as much as possible in preparation for my move. My target move date is September 15, 2007.

It's been fun USA

2. wow, good luck in canada man.

What poker sites did you play @?

My mom used to play online poker on her off time, she racked up, too.

3. i dont blame you on ur decision...

also, can anyone confirm this?: i heard canada's apartment housing are cheap! like you can get a nice 1 or 2 BR apartment for like $300-500 a month..

4. good luck with whatever you decide bro.

5. i used to play on fulltiltpoker.net and partpoker.net, but they shut down to US customers

Now i play on Bodog.net and absolutepoker.net

6. thats cool, my mom played on bodog and poker room.

7. the ones That i was looking at around the Toronto area (not in the city) were around $400 Canadian/Mo.

Thats actually around what i pay now

8. I've smoked B.C. bud, man. If you move there, all I can say is, you'll have a damn good time ^.^

Yeah, this country is most definately fucked, and I don't see it improving. When the time comes, I'm either going to California, or more than likely, I'll be moving to Canada also.

Either way man, good luck. I know quite a few vets who've got fucked on their VA benefits... I also don't like how if you get convicted for any legal trouble, as far as I know, in almost every case people loose their VA benefits... which is bullshit. You either served your country or you didn't... what ever one does after they get out is beside the point, it doesn't make serving less legitimate. But that's the least of the problems, people get fucked for much less reason than getting in trouble, if any reason at all.

9. Ill be joining you eventually man. Fuck this country and all of its unfounded hypocritical bullshit.

10. maybe it's just because I'm high, but I'm feelin an old school GC commune, almost like back in the 60's/70's

we can just have our own community, grow our own buds+hemp

11. well we're happy to have you, ipack! :hello:

You'll definitely grow to enjoy the socialized medicine (or so it sounds).

I feel really complimented. Canada is usually the butt of a joke or some terrible stereotype, it's refreshing to see it praised so sincerely by a man of your caliber. I love my country (even though the conservatives hold a minority government)

We share an almost identical pop culture, but the social culture is noticeably different. I've only heard good things from visiting American's though, So I'm confident you'll love it.

Are you going to retain dual-citizenship? I assume so, which is pretty cool.

Hah, we have so much to talk about!! :D

I don't know what (or even if) you own any firearms, but you may want to look into that. Gun laws are necessarily strict, but to my knowledge automatics are entirely illegal in Canada.

Thank god
    the liberals didn't win the last election either, otherwise handguns would be illegal too :rolleyes:

If you ask me, we should revise the Canadian constitution and so that it's a right to own a weapon.

12. haha fuck ya! .

13. Hell yeah man that's a pretty smart choice.

I'm stuck in the same place you're stuck right now...but I'm still in college haha.

As for moving, I'd definitely move to Vancouver, but although I couldn't move to Canada any time soon, I'd move to Cali.

Good luck in your future journey!

14. RM: everytime I've visited Canada, it's been very refreshing. The Natural beauty is breathtaking, and in the big cities...there's not a lot of trash just lying everywhere.

The only weapon I'm planning to bring with me is my beretta 9mm handgun, which i'm licensed to carry here in the states.

I'm looking forward to being part of a country that at least is working actively on getting things right

15. I'd personally choose B.C...the weather is just nicer...however if your one of those crazy people who'd live in weather that would make polar bears shiver..go to ontario..

Either way, Canadians have got to be some of the greatest people i've ever met..and the bud will tickle ur fancy i'm sure =)

16. Aye, that's why I'm planning on moving to BC when I'm older.

BC is pretty much everything I love about Canada, personified in a province. Don't get me wrong, I love the great lakes, and Toronto is a wicked city that really fits my personality.

But there is something about the ocean and the mountains which just makes me feel content.

I've actually never been out that far west... but me and my old man are going to do some hiking and ferry-hopping on the coast. Going to be an amazing summer :D (I can't believe at his age, he can still keep up... hell, half the time he's ahead of my on the trail)

17. I once I get older and before this country really goes to hell I will move to Canada.

R_M: are ur liberals and conservatives flipped from ours? they seem to have opposite views? JW I am probably wrong.

ipack: Good luck on ur move, I think ur making a smart choice.

The thing with stereotypes is they aren't true. They are just things put into jokes and make ppl laugh. Just rise above them and know that they are fake.

18. All I got to say is.. pick me up on the way.

19. anyone who wants to join me...let me know.. We'll rent a house and shit

20. yeah I though about it but im in no position to make big Life decisions like that, lets just put it this way moving to Canda is one of my top three choices. Also Rasta how would you go along to get these so called Dual citezenships, heard the Paramedics up there got paid 20 and up but dont have the money for the school so a Loan it is. Heres the school http://www.georgianc.on.ca/academics/programs/program_info.php?moremajor=PARA wish me luck