Mountain Bikers Unite!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by dropinbiking, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Nope. Turns out I got high and forgot to order the valve stems. I could of sworn they were in my cart. They are arriving today. Love me some Amazon Prime.

On an unrelated note... I've been killing it on the road bike lately. I've been getting out for a good 10-20 miles before work 2-3 days a week, plus 1-2 weekend days. A morning ride puts me into this great mood that carries with me the whole day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cool, hope it works out for ya. Mountain biking can do that as well.

3. Went on a nice little ride today, around 88, sunny, windy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. A friend of mine does downhill mountain biking semi-professionally and his sponsor gives him free bikes. He gave me one of his old bikes because his sponsor (Giant) gave him a newer, better bike. The bike he gave me was a super light weight Giant, with carbon fiber parts underneath the handles bars and seat. Earlier this year though, someone climbed the fence into my backyard, cut my lock with bolt cutters and stole it. I'm not sure what I'll do if I see someone riding it through my neighborhood, I honestly might push them off it and take it back. I really liked that bike.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Grrr just so close to finishing collecting all the parts I need for a single speed drive train. Turns out the chain ring I ordered was asymmetrical so I bought the cranks I've been thinking about for my next bike instead of eating shipping 2 ways for the right ring.

The xt m8000 cranks and a ss chain are in tuesday. Probably Saturday I'll do a complete tear down. Get the frame tore down, wipe clean, regrease and set the drive train up. That should take a weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Went out for a ride today, low 90s, cloudy (helped big time). Smoked some Giesel, pretty nice sativa.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. I often used to go for a long ride up a mountain here in Canberra called Red Hill. There is a nice dirt path that leads through the thick forest all the way up to a mountain-top lookout area. You can see nearly the whole of Canberra from up there, it's a really nice view. When riding back down, I can reach very fast speeds; it is quite a steep downhill path. While coming around a bend near the end up the track, I realized that someone (for whatever reason) had dug a hole in the path. I had no time to react. My front wheel went into the hole and I flew right over the handlebars, landing upside down on the ground and then tumbling. As I stood up, I felt (and heard) my left shoulder pop back into place, and it hurt so badly. I hobbled my way back to the nearest bus stop where I locked up my bike and caught a bus home. Couldn't even lift my left arm for nearly 4 weeks after this happened, but it eventually healed nicely. But I still wonder who dug the hole in that path. It is common knowledge that this is a popular mountain biking location, so I honestly think someone must have done it as some sort of nasty prank.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Some trails around here have been sabotaged.

9. 20180704_080234.jpg Got my cranks yesterday. So shinny and super light. Can't wait to mount it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I love how this thread is getting more love lately.

I'm off my bike for a few days. Smashed my hand on July 3rd, hard enough where it swelled up and I couldn't grab onto things. I was less than 0.5 miles from my car when it happened too. I went to go get it x-ray'd and thankfully nothing is broken.

11. Hey All,

I am brand new here and it is cool to see that there are some mountain bikers! I live in LA and ride a lot here. I used to make bike frames for a living but then I accidentally started a bong company. Funny how that works.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. 20180709_061733[1].jpg

mmmm baby. got to tighten up a few things and switch the pedals over but it is pretty much done.

m8000 boost cranks
    black spire 34t m8000 N/W chain ring
    black spire stinger(chain tensioner)
    kmc X1 single speed/e bike chain
    16t cog conversion kit.

next on the list is the hubs.... probably need new ones as I've got 5yrs on the current ones now.. I know I need new rims from the last time I got them trued so a whole wheel set looks to be next.

• Like Like x 1
  13. How do people feel about 29ers vs 26ers ?

What about aluminum to full carbon frame switch? Is it feelable?

Any other major improvements that stuck out for people?

14. Just started, so I've only ridden a 29er. I have a aluminum frame, would not mind a carbon, but shit's expensive, plus they can break/crack pretty easy, and that bike is toast. Weight for me is really not an issue, I like to get out and ride, no racing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 29er all the way. 26” just feels way to small now.

I’m sticking with metal frames for mountain bikes. One day I may upgrade to a full carbon road bike.

16. Smoked some Giesel, on this ride today. Lunch Loops area. Hotter than I thought, low/mid 90s, sunny, slight breeze on top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Did a nice little ride today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Got'er done? How's it riding?

19. How's it going? Been back out riding?

20. bawhh forgot to post

20180709_095958[1].jpg
    I forgot to tighten the fucking idler pully wheel and it lasted about 2hrs and disappeared. leaving the chain super slack but that was a couple moths ago and the chain has only skipped about 3 or 4 times since usually when im flexing the frame to it max pedaling out of the apex like a mofo. eventually I want to get another pully to tighten up the chain but I got some time still. a word on the stinger that I used. I'd drill a hole in it and rig it up with some safety wire as the BB mounting option is pretty prone to backing off and becoming redundant after a couple of jumps but is otherwise a sound piece to have.
    20180709_061733[1].jpg
    I need a finer shim kit for the rear sprocket as the chainline is out ever so slightly. and a week after I did the conversion my bottom bracket started to creak signaling its on its way out<_<. as for riding the bike my first day was a run to college usually taking me 20-25 mins did it in 9 with burning lungs to boot surprised I didn't come down with an asthma attack. now im doing those same hills and not even having to stand up or lose my breath. also odd tid bit my thighs have changed shape and leaned out more than they were before

switching drive trains was a bit of a change. the old drivetrain originally a 3x8 but in the later bit was a 1x8. had I think 2-1/2 season on it no cleaning just a oiling every now n then so least to say it was like pedaling through mud with draggy brakes vs the SS being almost weightless and super efficient. the thing I like is no more chain slap and the rear end is super light. light enough I almost flipped it the first jump. along with the bike being lighter overall.

would I do it again? sure but with a bigger chain ring as it took me about 2 weeks to get to a point where I was spinning out. again with the but it makes for a good cruising gear and isn't to bad going up hill so i'll do without the extra down hill speed. now if it was winter I would opt for a new 3x8 drivetrain or try to find a wide range 1x5. good thing about the m8000 cranks is they are actually a 2 ring crank so it shouldn't be hard to get a good setup for winter.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1