Mottled/flecked leaves?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Andykara2003, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Hi all,

I have a problem in my seedling room that I've never seen before - flecks of lighter coloured green on the leaves. After quite a few years of growing a certain strain, I'm finally letting that strain go and am introducing a new strain.

I planted the seeds for the new strains 11 days ago. The temp for the seedlings is 25 degrees, humidity at 70 percent. They're in Biobizz light mix soil and have had no nutrients yet, just water. There's no pests anywhere. The plants are growing taller every day, so not stalled or anything. There's also some slight twisting of the leaves of a few of these seedlings.

I just can't put my finger on why I'm getting these flecks - the only thing I can think of is that I use high light intensities - The seedlings are under a 600W halide at 20" (lowered from 24" at the start). The old strain has always been fine at these intensities, but maybe it's a factor for this new variety?

Here's some pics - I'd be very grateful if anyone can help.

Attached Files:

2. Twisty leaves is almost always a ph issue mate.
    Just bear in mind that seedlings are sensitive as fuck so can just take a while to settle in anyway.
    This why I root up in root riots before planting.
    Takes an extra week but a seedling light can be flung in a cupboard so 6 n half a dozen really.
    Wouldnt worry though. If you've done a few grows you won't be doing anything too stupid so they'll most likely grow out of it within a few nodes. :)

3. Hang on.. I never read that right the first time....
    You got a 600w MH hanging 20 inches over head?

Get that upto 3ft mate lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. if youre checking ph id just keep an eye on this I like to think if it was an issue with water or anything else the other seedlings would be showing signs as well, ive had twisted starter leaves from them sticking together before opening. id also agree in moving your light closer a 600watt metal halide can be 8 to 29 inches away I believe. having the light as close to the plants as they can withstand helps in not stretching and getting more useable light.

5. Sorry mate but a 600w m/h placed 8 inches away from anything growing will iether kill it or set it on fire then kill it.
    What exactly do you think an MH bulb Is?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. like I said I believe I didn't say its what it had to be as you can tell I don't use them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Not a great idea to advise on things you don't know about mate.
    For a lot of us, helping folk on this site is the one thing that stops us from going crazy.
    You'll get it tight for dishing out bad advice bud.
    Even when the experienced guys get it slightly off we get half slaughtered lol.

Just some friendly advice dude. Folks put a lot of money into this so don't guess things. It's not fair on those potentially taking it in :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. #8 GroBuddy, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    looks like you already started on something I said I wasn't certain about in the first place.. you came on here first trying to make me feel dumb by asking what I thought a metal halide bulb was then you reiterated by that long bit. ive never in no way shape or form given out false information. dude has an issue its not on me to do the research for them. I can only bring it to their attention then they need to refer to their owners manual when referencing lights. I can give exact information pertaining to lights or plant health if I know for sure what the issue is however if I can only speculate I can only give an idea and that's what I did gave an idea they might have a lighting distance issue. ill add after research it should be 18 to 24 inches away so hes doing fine your information of 3ft is inaccurate maybe you should take your own advise. not even 1,000 watts need to be 36inches lol from what ive read

9. since i started using root riots ive had great success, maybe dim ballast and move closer or get smaller watts bulb for seedlings.

10. #10 old shol4evr, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    delete

11. "From what I've read"
    That statement counts for absolutely nothing mate.
    You just told a guy his 600w MH should be 8 inches away and you're trying to school me with things you've read.
    And I've just realised trying to school me again saying it's fine to put the 600w MH as close as 18 inches for seedlings.

Can read all the material you want mate.
    Untill you actually do things the theory counts for nothing I'm afraid.

Gotta pass a theory test before you get a driving liscence.
    Can get 100% on that without ever driving a car. Having one doesn't mean you're qualified to turn the engine on.
    Not being a dick mate but plants that size need next to zero light and zero nutes.
    Ill prove it in an hour or so once I've had my bubble bath n chilled out for the day:)

12. Cheers for the advice, really helpful :thumbsup:

Absolutely agree - the only info to give out should be firmly based on solid experience.
    Great suggestion - my jiffy pellets are a bit slow to root.