Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Motivation

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Alex1127, Nov 12, 2012.

1. This is going to be a long post, but I really need some input from you scholarly blades out there :cool:

So senioritis has been taking it's toll on me the last few months, as well as depression and constant stress in nearly every aspect of my life. I find that I'm still excited and willing to go to work (I work at a Chinese restaurant), but my brain wants nothing to do with anything school related. It's weird, like I will be home for 8 hours straight and my homework will be the first thing on my mind but I never get started. The best way I can explain it is my mind just shuts homework and school out of it's priority list. I'm disappointed and frustrated with myself, I'm such a brilliant student and adept learner and I know in my heart I could go places if only I had the work habits and drive to succeed. I do have 3 AP classes, but in reality the work is still ridiculously easy. Yet all I want to do is chill on the internet, work, and go out with friends. I don't want to have my grades drop severely and disappoint my dad, because he has been the force keeping me on track throughout my school life. I need a motivator, something to stop my mind from avoiding school.

Now I've heard varying opinions on weed, some people say it's a demotivator and others say it is a life-changing medication. I have been toking for a year and a half, and although my lifestyle has changed, my school habits have been pretty consistent with maybe a small decline in my motivation. I recently bought a MFLB and I'm considering starting to go to school high, to see if it fascinates me more and whether or not it will affect my learning capability. My theory is that if I get vaped, my mind will race less and I will actually be able to sit down and work on homework. Stealth is likely not a problem with the MFLB, and I'll find a reliable dealer.

So if anybody has experience with a drastic decline in motivation, I need some advice. Can weed be the inspiration I'm looking for? I just want to make sure this is the right decision before I blow a ton of money on bud and possibly fuck up my grades even more.

2. imo, weed neither helps nor hinders motivation. you may be more motivated to do different tasks compared to being sober..but my drive is usually the same regardless. My junior year of HS, i was high multiple times for Honors Calc, and received one of the highest grades out of my whole class. Definitely can help you in some subjects that require creativity or analytical thinking. And sports are really fun whilst high (i was on the baseball team)

3. I don't think it has anything to do with the drug itself, but when I'm burnt out and groggy I sure as shit don't feel like doing my homework either.

4. Use marijuana as your motivator. Don't smoke until all of your homework is done and once you finish you homework smoke a few bowls to reward yourself.

5. Like Malamala said, turn cannabis into your motivator. Don't touch a bowl unless your work is all done. No exceptions; you'll have to be disciplined for this to work.

A popular one I've seen in universities is straight A's or bust, meaning that if you can't maintain all A's, no cannabis at all until the grade is settled out.

This, along with the first idea, is the method I would recommend.

Remember, intelligence is not inert; it's not something you're born with. You can be naturally quick, but intelligence is something born of countless hours of work and dedication. You have to want it.

6. Well the thing is, I'm not a daily smoker, I don't get super excited to go blaze. I just have fun with it on the weekends and times when I don't have priorities. I was just curious to see if I could get any motivational benefits from vaping, yet it sounds like a no. :(

7. What happens when you vape or smoke is your brain releases dopamine, a feel good reward chemical. If you "reward" yourself before homework, you will have a harder time doing the work. :wave:

8. Use the sweet herb as the motivator.... How do you think i sat through all those stupid college lectures and actually did my homework.

Edit: if weed doesnt get your blood pumping. Then take away something that will. No tv, videogames, cellphone, ect till the homework gets done. Dont make me turn into my parents.

9. Well blades, I vaped, forgot about having to read Hamlet by tomorrow, and ended up playing Halo 4. I guess I'll just fail haha

10. glad to see you took our advice

11. intelligence IS something your born with, education is what costs countless hours of work

someone can still be intelligent even if all they focus on is building legos

12. Tem4jafa, there is no set definition for intelligence; it's completely subjective.

I was merely sharing my own thoughts. I respectfully disagree with your idea of intelligence versus education. I would instead argue that one may be born with wit, but not intelligence.

Education is not synonymous with intelligence, there are people with PhD's who also believe that the Earth is 6000 years old and that the government is controlled by a race of lizard people.

13. My motivation is pain...like mistakes I have made in the past that fuel me each and every day to not make the same mistakes and to better myself to keep going. Point is weed is not the answer to your problem, the problem begins and ends with you.

14. What I've noticed is that in this kinda situation, you may have those inner voices telling you that you need to be responsible and do your homework and nagging you, in a way. Weed often can help you just sort of ignore those and be content in the moment, and not have to worry about it, whereas in reality you SHOULD be worrying about. It's all about finding a balance with weed. Unfortunately, I don't think weed will give you the inspiration you're looking for. You're better off limiting your smoking and just doing your homework...

15. #15 tem4jafa, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
    i think we agree just not with the specific context of the words
    i was trying to say that someone can be smart <or intelligent?> even if they aren't particularly well versed in the traditional information or education

FYI i believe in the flying spaghetti monster lol ;)

in your context it sounded like that because you were saying it takes devotion and time to be intelligent while i subjectively view intelligence as someone's ability to grasp or learn something quickly

IE just because jill spends 40 hours memorizing translations of spanish doesn't mean she is more intelligent than the person with a natural ability to quickly pick up languages if they have only spent 30 minutes listening to it

16. OP, weed isn't a motivator. It has a specific effect on the brain, which varies from person to person. Motivation is self - driven.

Your homework is the first thing you think about? Do you frequently think of it while you're doing other things? If so, you're building it up in your mind, making it seem harder than it really is.

1) Leave it out of sight, and force your thoughts on whatever else you're doing. It's only for an hour or two (but set a specific amount of time). Then you'll get to your work.
    2) Do it in increments. Don't feel you have to do a set amount, work on your own schedule, but set a final deadline.

If you're not frequently thinking about your work, then you'll have to just do it when you first think about it. Don't allow yourself to do anything you want until you do your hw.

When it's done, set it somewhere you'll see a lot. Allow yourself to feel proud that you're done, that you now don't have to worry about it. You're free to do and think about anything you want.

Just a suggestion, all opinionated :smoke:

17. Weed doesn't help me with school. It would, if I could afford it. But I feel as if i don't enjoy my high i've wasted it. Believe me if I had unlimited weed, I would blaze before every single activity.

18. All I had to do today was read this book, and I couldn't even manage to fucking open it. Disappointed in myself.

19. I've learned that to go through school you need to not be a total burn out. Save the weed for when you have nothing more to do, as for everything else I suggest some self help motivational book or a girlfriend..

Hey op, I appreciate you.

See, some little motivational words for ya

20. I do not have motivation I just have procrastination. Well I do have motivation it just takes agesss for it to finally reach a level where I act on it. This is the part of myself I am currently trying to change, but no weed will not help whatsoever at least in my experience if anything it's been a large protagonist.