Most important aspect of music?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Floydian, Mar 5, 2007.

1. What's everyones opinion on the most important aspect, part, or whatever the hell you want to call it, of music? The rhythm, the beat, the inspiration, the vibe, etc...

If you ask me, it's all about the groove, man.

See this dude?

:hello:

Yeah ya see him???

Yeah... HE knows how to groove.

2. One word, three syllables;

"Emotion"

If I can feel what emotions come from the music I am listening too, than I am happy.

When I listen to classic rock, I feel the happy live free vibe they have.

When I listen to punk I feel the intensity.

When I listen to classical I feel the relaxed,calm,soothing vibe of it all.

But when it comes down to it the absolute best aspect of music is;
    all of the above combined.

music is just fucking great!!:metal:

3. The most important component of any music is its presence (as opposed to its absence). :D

4. There really is no one aspect of a song that sticks out as most important to me, you need several to have a great song, but the one thing that can ruin a good song quicker than anything are the lyrics. There are so many songs that could be great, but the artists just add in a bunch of words that dont make any sense at all just because they rhyme and fill up space. Perfect example of that is a good portion of RHCP songs. I mean, half the time they make up nonsense words and then just throw in a suffix that rhymes with the last line. But you cant have a great song with just lyrics. You need flow, emotion, instrumental skill, vibe, all that good shit.

5. Lyrics..need to have good lyrics in a song to make it work. Now I know most people like the beats of songs..granted I do..but thats for my system in the Lincoln..;) But like said...if I listen to classical I feel calm. Metal I jam the fuck outta it. Punk..well I cant stand punk. Classic rock...you feel the vibe that they give. Especially watching a old time video. You fellas were lucky if you was back in those times. Me being born in the hair metal age has it perks but not as fun at the 60s, 70s. So I assume of course.

6. No offence at all bro, but what about shit like the SRV version of Little Wing?

'Cause We Ended As Lovers, by Jeff Beck?

Any Colour You Like, or One Of These Days by Pink Floyd?

I definately understand what you're saying, if you're gonna sing something, it better be a damn good line, or you should let the guitarists do the work... but... there's just so many great instrumentals out there.

Edit;
    That's exactly why I chose the groove, man. It's because the groove doesn't even exist until you bring all the others together, emotion, vibe, skill, etc... even if you have all the others, but you can't put them together to form and then find the groove, then you still have nothing, 'cept a few dudes standing on stage.

7. you got a point. There are actually alot of good instrumentals. I didnt mean to knock instrumentals in any way. I like acoustic songs also. I guess I just havent listened to alot of instrumentals lately. I like almost anything by Pink Floyd. Couple of those others you named I havent heard of before but will for sure check them out.:)

8. I agree

If a song conveys an emotion, thats music at its best.

9. aboslutely. If you have that favorite song of yours playing and you begin to get goosebumps, that's when you know you love it, the fact that it makes you feel that way.

10. Couldnt have said it any better.

11. Deloused In The Comatorium explains what music does to me.

12. Just make absolutely SURE you listen to both the Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix (original) versions of Little Wing.

Jeff Beck is an amazing guitarist. Almost any guitarist from the great 70's rock bands will say he's a better guitarist than them, or at least one of their idols. Gilmour, Page, Clapton, any of 'em.

13. Rhythm is the foundation of music.

Music is defined by consisting of rhythm, melody, and harmony. However, if rhythm didn't exist, then music with perfect harmony and beautiful melody would sound like one long note.

That being said, I love music with great melodies and deep grooves. Check out African Griots and Indonesian Gamelan if you are into great rhythms.

I'm not going to list any specific genres of music. All great music contains grooves and melodies.

14. You sir, know your stuff. I was going to go on the whole rhythm rant but you've worded it perfectly.

Emotion and atmosphere are two very important ones for me.

15. The groove literally is a groove, a deep canyon in the fabric of space and time.

The intro kicks in and you slowly, yet comfortably slide down the walls of the groove.

When you arrive at the bottom, you've left your body and transformed in to the rhythm itself.

Without the groove, rhythm is just a beat or time signature.

I will defend the groove 'til my days end. :D

16. Listen to this:

Song: Hide and Seek
    Artist: Joshua Redman
    Album: Freedom in the Groove

This is some music with a strong beat and groove to it.

17. Figures when I click the link there doing maintenence...