More Height for pot or more width for root grow? or doesnt make difference?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by james.wolverine97, Jan 28, 2015.

1. I found a rectangular pot which is super long but not as taller as usual round or square pots will it make a difference? As I understand roots can adapt and take the shape and form of your pot so space is space right will it work?
    So If I planted middle of the pot and half roots can travel towards left and half towards right, will it work?

2. Bit confusing mate lol...."It's super long but not as taller"? 

I think you either mean it's quite tall or quite wide, but either way, the roots will adapt accordingly. 

3. careful with watering, I would suspect before the roots spread out there is a higher chance of fungus or molds.

4. The way plants respond to gravity tends to convince me root depth. Roots have a downward response to gravity while stems shoot upward. We know it as Gravitropism.

About 3/4 of the way down it has a short description on this link, http://www.biology-online.org/kb/print.php?aid=20

\t 

5. I don't want to sound rude don't take this the long way I did mention "width" it's long in that perspective not height wise. 

so it will be useless then pretty much and wont spread as good?

really? what causes it to mold and get fungus (just curious)

6. I won't take it the long way mate lol, but no offence, you didn't mention width...I figured that was what you meant though :) 

Anyway, a wide pot will allow the roots to grow vast, which is always a good thing, but you will need it to have a little bit of depth at least, otherwise you risk the plant not having enough support to keep it sturdy once it starts packing on weight. 

7. sorry I meant "wrong way" not long way was typing using my mobile got auto corrected. there is depth just less compare to square/round pots. 

8. Check out the smart pots or fabric pota

9. You have a short tent, therefore try and find short pots. A taller pot just eats up more vertical height that you don't have to spare.

10. #10 mandrin13, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015

My thinking is that the roots haven't spread out throughout the soil yet, so the water farther away from the plant will not get absorbed, at least as easily, as near the plant, resulting in possible mold or fungus.  In a more traditional setup the roots have less lateral area to cover, and the water goes more straight down and over the roots.  I have no 1st hand experience with this, but its seems logical to me, just pay attention to your soil and you should be fine.

^^ this.

I grew some big plants in 100 Gallon swimming pools about 10 inches deep and there was no problem having big bushy happy plants over 6 feet tall.

12. I've grown out 8' and I can tell you the root depth doesn't matter. Roots will only go about a foot down. They form their most aggressive roots on the sides. Once they fill the sides they work down the sides and try to fill it. They won't reach very far down which is why those 400 gallon pots are shaped like kiddie pools.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

yeah!  I want to do 400 gallon pots this year outdoors.  I will just use pallets and make raised beds 6 foot squares 2 feet deep that space is 478 gallons.