Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Moral Chronic

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Blazedog, Jul 14, 2010.

1. I have recently made a connection that has hookups to some medical cannabis directly from a dispensary. I have examined it and it looks great. My only hesitation is buying it. Personally I don't know how I feel about getting some "medicine" for a completely non medical purpose. What are your opinions about buying and using medical cannabis if you don't have a prescription for it?

2. What do you mean by "medical cannabis"? Cannabis is cannabis. I don't see why you would even hesitate to buy some top shelf mary jane. Assuming that you're in California, why don't you just get a medical card?

3. It's fine to buy medical grade weed from somebody, they are the ones taking the bigger risk by bringing it into the black market. He could also just say it is from a dispensary when really he got it off the street, vice versa.

4. It pisses me off when people abuse MMJ. People in other places see people getting cards just to get high or sell it, and it reduces the chances of MMJ being available elsewhere - which prevents people like me with legit conditions from getting it.

I know we'd all love to have a hookup to top shelf bud, but you've gotta show some respect for the people who actually need it.

5. itsatrap has my dilemma down exactly. I know there any people who legitimently use cannabis as a medicine and by someone who doesnt need it but is found with medicinal cannabis creates a major negative view on medicinal marijuana.

6. Once in your hands, it is nearly impossible to distinguish whether or not it is medical cannabis. I don't think that this should be a moral dilemma. It's cannabis regardless. You're not abusing the system like other people by getting a card for the wrong reasons.

7. #7 itsatrap, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010
    If you bought it you'd be promoting that negative image. Maybe not so directly as the guy who got the card, but you're supporting him. Personally I think it's selfish. I dunno, it just really gets to me because I'm personally affected by it.

I suppose you've just got to decide what's more important - your recreational use, or other people's medical use.

Edit: Keep in mind that there's good bud to be found elsewhere too. You can still get your dank without harming the MMJ community.

8. So, if I were to obtain a few OC80's from someone who has a legit script, I'm reducing the availability of the opiate and ruining the legitimate use of the pill? Bullshit, even if it's a scheduled drug.

Every psychoactive substance I know of has utility on both extremes. You can't safely say that the stigma brought on by recreational use of medical cannabis puts your medicinal supply in danger. After all, why do you think medical marijuana is so prevalent now? Recreational use spurned the R&D to discover and develop medical uses for the plant worldwide.

Plus, how many states has medical marijuana been legalized in now? And how many dispensaries are still around, even after the busts? Make no illusions; even the most convincing patient with an ailment could be toking just for fun. Medicine always has these moral dilemmas, but in the end, being the supplier requires that a certain amount of distance be put between yourself and the potential use of your product.

9. hey bro hows ohio?

10. The entire MMJ system pisses me off. Like I understand, that some people need it as medicine, but the system is just made to be exploited. It would've been much smarter to have just legalized from the start.

11. Well no, because opiate meds are a whole lot more accepted than MMJ. Some people actually think that MMJ is only in place as a way of getting round the law, and people using it like that is obviously going to promote that image.

MMJ isn't prevalent where I live. Most people haven't even heard of it and think I'm lying when I try and explain it to them. If it was accepted and available here then I wouldn't care so much (I don't live in the US).

12. Maybe this is just me, but public acceptance has never defined my morality. When you're younger, of course, you do what your parents and the law requires of you. Then you realize that people who vote on bills related to marijuana use(medical or otherwise) are largely recreational users. If that majority didn't exist, we probably wouldn't have legalized marijuana(for what, the 4th time in the states?) in the first place.

I understand if marijuana isn't prevalent where you live, especially if you take pride in growing the medicine yourself. For me, that's one of the most powerful reasons to grow it. Break down stereotypes and reveal truth behind the veil.

13. The system has been and will continued to be taken advantage of. Medical marijuana is a business. Figure out how much money it takes to cultivate an ounce and how much the dispensaries are selling it for. The people who actually need mmj have no problem getting it. These "compassionate caregivers" are no different than any other business.

14. Thanks for everyones opinions I still am not sure what I will do but you all raised some very good points.

15. #15 itsatrap, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010
    I didn't say that public acceptance defined my morality. I meant that without public acceptance MMJ will remain illegal where I am. Recreational users supporting medicinal use makes sense because it is one step closer to full legalisation. I'm sure that there are plenty of healthy stoners who don't need MMJ, but still support it's medicinal use (regardless of thier views on cheating the system).

It's not that weed itself isn't prevalent here, just that it's medicinal properties aren't as widely accepted. I'd grow if I wasn't living with my parents (our home is provided by my Dad's job, so we'd have no home and no money if I was caught). I do agree that it's a powerful reason to grow it, but the risk is too great for me to do that at the moment.