Monogamy -- do you agree? [video]

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by Reflection Eternal, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Watch before you read, it's only 2:41! :D Spoiler below, highlight or press CTRL + A.

Kanaal van bigthink - YouTube

The way he said that about halfway through had me rolling over his frankness. :laughing: But I think it's a copout to say we're wired against it and we should "expect" such a threat or even reward someone who has "only" fouled a few times over a long relationship. But I'm a fiercely loyal person and I am speaking only of committed relationships that are supposed to be exclusive and whereupon both parties have agreed to such terms, especially marriage. What do you think about his point?

2. I don't even know where to begin with this guy. It's like he's right and wrong at the same time. Monogamy is a choice. It's an agreement people enter into. My feelings have always been that if you want to fuck a lot of people, don't play games. Be honest with the people you enter into relationships with. It isn't necessarily morally wrong to desire multiple partners, but don't agree to be faithful and then cop out later. That is cheating and it's wrong because you're being deceitful. He's also overstating the evolution thing. Obviously evolution doesn't make us 100% anything. In the animal kingdom multiple partners are chosen for all kinds of reasons, and some animals do practice monagamy. It isn't as simple as he is making it sound. Really, to me, he just sounds like a whore who is seeking validation.

3. Yeah monogamy is dumb to me... Never want to get married

Marriage = State Sponsored Declaration of Love
    and personally I'm not into the whole government thing...

4. Polygamy?

5. Now that I'd be okay with

6. #6 KillerxQueen, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2011
    I disagree with him...but I see his point; don't resist your biological process and all, but seriously?
    We aren't wild animals... We are sophisticated enough for self-control, may not be a bad idea to use it.

I think there's a middle ground somewhere with all this stuff...
    Nothing as extreme as sleeping with everything that moves, but nothing as boring as monogamy.
    Like a once a year holiday where you get to put it to anyone you'd like. (considering they let you)

7. well, i am a little annoyed...because when he says "men had concubines, whores" he regrets to inform the viewer that woman would be punished for a adultery. Until this century marriage was a like he said "property contract" and a man could only secure that with his wife's faithfulness or else he wouldn't know if his property would go to another man's child.

Throughout history in some cultures, women would be killed for adultery, and for men their was no punishment.

Because marriage is expected to be for love now in most societies, men and women are held to same standard of monogamy.

I agree that it is unrealistic to not desire other people when you are in love, I mean i check out other people sometimes, but its not like I am going to explode if i dont fuck them. I have a connection with my boyfriend and prefer that to meaningless sex with someone who doesn't know me well.

Anyways..you could always have a threesome :D

8. I don't think having sex with some other guy would even be a 1/4 as good as it is with my boyfriend. I trust him and he knows every inch of me, he knows what I like and what I don't. He knows how to touch me and what to say and I feel safe with him. Plus there is an emotional bond that creates such an amazing experience it couldn't be duplicated.