Monitoring temp remotely. Am I going too far?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by WDIK, Jan 28, 2014.

1. I'm getting one of those wireless Foscam security cameras.  I'm going to set it up to point at my in-tent digital thermometer.  I will also be able to pan to see the grow.  I will be able to log in and check the temp during the day.  Not that I can do much about it because I work 30 minutes from home.

Is this going too far?  lol 

It's not that I am worried, just thought it would be interesting.  I have pets and a squirrel feeder outside one of my windows, so the camera could provide some entertainment when I get bored with monitoring the temp. 

Thoughts?   :cool:

2. #2 Shiva Blaster, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014

Personally, if you work that far away and aren't around to adjust anything anyway, I think that money could be much better spent elsewhere in your grow to improve your results.      You can get cheap digital thermometers that will log the highest and lowest temps and humidity while you are gone, which is all you really need if you can't get there anyway  :)

Lighting, ventilation, nutes, there are tons of areas that you can always tweak to improve yields and quality.......a camera isn't gonna give you any more buds.

But it does satisfy my techie gadget side at least temporarily.  :)

4. I do it. I have a cam on my dog sleeping while I'm at work all day. It helps me relax to watch my dog sleep comfortably.

I conveniently place my tent thermometer in view of the cam so I can check it also.

Uneccesary? Definitely. Do I like it? I love it. :)

5. Id like to see gear that you could remote control. Like speed controls Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Lots of home automation/remote control stuff out there.  All depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.

7. [quote name="WDIK" post="19429437" timestamp="1391017225"]Lots of home automation/remote control stuff out there. All depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.[/quote]Thats true.. but in my case my grow is to small to be spending to much more money on it. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Believe me, I know the feeling.

9. The Foscam was a piece of pie to setup.  Not going to put it in the tent until this weekend, just going to test the online viewing and control for now.

Will update with a screen cap when it is in the tent.

10. No man my brother was telling me how he was going to set it up to be able to see inside and outside his room and also control his lights, ac, fans, exhaust, etc. all on control while he wasn't even at home.

It can be done even to a further extent than just watching them.

11. #11 WDIK, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
    I had an epiphany.  I was going to mount the camera inside the tent.  I have one of those wireless weather thingys with the base that sits inside and the remote that usually hangs outside that I am using to monitor my tent temp.

Instead of mounting the the camera inside the tent pointing at the remote.  Why not have the camera in my living room pointing at the base station?  Duh!  :p  The thought really came to me thanks to Tunga.

I can then remotely control it to check on other parts of the house.  Probably better for the camera to not be in such a warm/moist environment also.  Wow, sometimes I over think things.

12. The camera did end up going in the tent.  I couldn't find a good place to put the camera and weather base station to get reception from the remote thermometer while still being "stealthy".  :)  Remote is in the basement, base is on main floor.

Works, well and is kind of fun to watch.  I am at my work desk before lights come on, so it's interesting to watch the temp rise.  Also have a mobile app.

[​IMG]

13. Nice man. I like it.  

Make sure with the cam broadcasting the innards of your tent to the interwebs that you've got a solid password on it.  :)

Yep I thought of that.  It's got a solid password and uses a non-standard port.  Will be shutdown when I know I have my temps dialed in.