Monitor flashes on startup?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Broosh, Nov 10, 2012.

1. When I start up my monitor flashes for anywhere from 20-50 minutes before it lights up fully. It's functional when it's flashing but obviously i'd rather not go into an epileptic seizure every time I turn the computer on.

Everything in my PC is plugged in and screwed in fine.

anybody know why? or is my monitor just going out?

2. [quote name='"Broosh"']When I start up my monitor flashes for anywhere from 20-50 minutes before it lights up fully. It's functional when it's flashing but obviously i'd rather not go into an epileptic seizure every time I turn the computer on.

Everything in my PC is plugged in and screwed in fine.

anybody know why? or is my monitor just going out?[/quote]

Sounds like an LCD monitor with the backlight going out.

3. well it is an LCD

it's a 22' Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

i've seriously had it for like 8 years, so i can't complain. this baby has TIME in it lol. but i was just hoping there was someway to conserve it.

4. [quote name='"Broosh"']well it is an LCD

it's a 22' Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

i've seriously had it for like 8 years, so i can't complain. this baby has TIME in it lol. but i was just hoping there was someway to conserve it.[/quote]

That is probably what is going on then. LCD screens have a florescent bulb that runs the length of the screen at the bottom, this is the backlight. Just like overhead florescent lights, they sometimes flicker as they are about to die or take a long time to fully ignite. There is a chance it could be a power problem as well, causing the bulb to pulse until a bad capacitor or something warms up.

Regardless, unless your familiar with electronics it might be best to start hunting a replacement. Nothing you can really do other than fix it, not use it, or just deal with it for the time being.

5. Spot on, My first thought! +1