Money is not an issue...what would you suggest to buy from HTG?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Retrosole, Jan 26, 2010.

1. First time growing, but i've spent the past 3 years solely researching/reading peoples journals on GC. I think I'm capable of growing some nice buds, I just have been out of the loop and am a bit rusty on my knowledge, so forgive me.

I'm definitely gonna use HTG and I'm thinking of throwing a grow tent in my closet, specifically the 20 x 36 x 64 tent:

[​IMG][​IMG]

And I would buy a grow kit as well to save a little bit of money I guess, this one:

[​IMG]

Now, all I'd need is some ventilation. What would you suggest to buy for ventilation given the info I gave? This grow tent would be in a closet, and I could drill a hole in the wall or ceiling if needed, I'd prefer to have evrything in the tent though. Could I buy everything I need on HTG?

I made another thread similar to this but got no answers, all I need is one response!:eek:

2. It's hard to advise without knowing more about your setup, but it looks like you are on the right track.

Will you need everything in that "kit"? If not it might be better to buy the individual items you need separately.

HTG should be able to hook you up with just about everything you need. Yes they have fans. Not sure if that kit includes a pH meter, you'll want one of those.

3. hey toasty! thanks for the response :wave:. This tent will go inside my closet which is 4x5x6 feet, and has one door leading to it. I have a good a/c system in the house and temps are from 68-73. I am on the second floor so I guess if I drill a hole for exhaust it would lead to the attic which is nice.

I was really more concerned with the ventilation questions...I know i need a ph kit, etc. some stuff that isn't included in the grow kit, but I could i could go to my local growing store to get.

4. For ventilation, I'd suggest HTG's 4" High Velocity Inline Fan with one of their Fan Speed Controllers to fine tune the air flow/noise. Put the fan in the attic and duct it down to the tent, sucking from one of the top ports. Use the tent's built-in passive intakes. You've got AC so you're ahead of the game. Add a carbon filter if odor is going to be an issue. Good luck on your grow!

5. The tent will have attachment for the blower...You could cut a few holes (4-6") in the middle bottom of the door and put one of those rectangular register covers that go on walls on the outside of the door so no one can really peak in the holes and it doesnt look so odd, you wouldnt be able to see the holes with the metal cover (do you know what kind of cover im talking about? I dont know their real name) But since the tent is light proof you could prolly just keep the door open to get fresh air in there...but once ya put a blower in the tent it will create negative pressure in the tent and most likely will beable to pull fresh air in even with the closet door closed...although I would recomend getting moe fresh air in...or buy a CO2 regulator with a timer, prolly about 160 bucks. A 20lb tank costs 30 bucks to fill and its a 100 dollar security deposit for them usually but you get it back when or if you return it. That way you can have a closed garden and not even have to worry about venting and getting fresh air in the box...just and idear.

6. so I could replace a co2 system with the ventilation? and is there any other alternative to ducting a fan to my attic? I have a vent in the roof of my closet but its 12" wide and has a metal sheet with holes over it...ducting could go there but I would need to seal it somehow. Is there anything else I can do? Please help :eek:

7. Although it makes perfect sense in hindsight, I didn't know you could buy fan speed controllers like that...I bought this inline fan/carbon scrubber combo from HTG and although it works great, it's got a bit more juice (and therefore noise) than I really need given the size of my grow area. That fan speed controller is exactly what I need, so I just bought one. +rep for pointing that out. :D

8. I've been wanting to order some items from HTG but they have an expired cert for the secure checkout (https).

If they would fix that I could order a few things...:rolleyes:

9. I saw that too when I just ordered from them, but I was OK with it because my CC company lets me create and use a "fake" card number with a dollar limit for each internet purchase. That way if someone gets my card number and tries to use it after the order is placed, it's useless to them.

10. yeah that does suck about the expired cert. I guess i'll have to wait it out, not a problem though.

Ok, so I'm using a grow tent in my closet (20' x 36 x 64') from HTG and my only worry is ventilation. I will have one 6' inline fan running air through my 400 HPS bulb, have a 6' exhaust at the top of my tent blowing through a carbon scrubber, and possibly another 4' inline fan at the bottom for intake. Other then that, i'd have an oscillating fan (or two) outside of the tent to refresh the air in the closet/my room. I was also thinking of a cool tube but I don't know much about em. Would three inline fans be overkill inside the tent? or not enough...??

I'm really trying to stay away from ducting a fan to my attic or through a wall...the location of my room/closet makes it impossible. Is there any way around this? Please tell me yes I feel like this growing thing just isn't working out for me

I took that from another thread I've made, any comments would help...i'm worried about ventilation more then odor control tbh

11. Do you know what the vent in the ceiling of your closet is for? It might be an air return for you a/c system which would be good news. Do a smoke test to see (take a bong hit and blow smoke towards the vent with your a/c fan on to see if smoke gets sucked up the vent).

If the air gets sucked out of your closet through the vent then you prolly don't need to duct air to your attic since the a/c system will take care of exhausting and cooling the tent/closet air. Don't go all crazy with buying intake and exhaust fans. Just a good exhaust fan is really all you need for that size tent. Ultimately, no amount of fans will solve a heat problem if you don't have a place to put the heat.

12. If money really isn't an option and you're limited to your closet space, I'd do a 600w HPS and get two 6" inline fans, both for exhaust. One for air cooling the light and the other for venting the tent. You're going to have to exhaust both into the attic otherwise you'll be re-circulating hot air from your closet back into your grow tent.

The one exhausting the light should be pulling air from outside the tent, through the light, then out to the attic, no need to scrub. The one that is exhausting the tent should have the scrubber and can pull air from a passive intake at the bottom of the tent, and make it's way out into the attic. You wont need an active intake with this setup.

This setup will not allow for CO2 supplementation but with the constant intake the air will be replaced continuously. You will also be more prepared for any future upgrading... eg: a larger tent, higher wattage, etc.

13. Yeah a 600 watt with a fan cooling it and the closet would be ideal as well...then you can grow more and better weed with a 600 watter. You could possibly run some ducting up to that vent for your exhaust if it doesnt already suck air out or doesnt suck enough out...You need to find out where that thing goes because it could be a real big help. And yes you wouldnt need any sort of ventilation if you are controlling the co2 and HEAT...the problem would be if you arent venting the air out the tent then that heat would become a big problem...but either way even when you get venting you can still suplement with co2 and get an average of around 30% more yield (I have done some testing with clones from a mother, being raised exactly the same the control would be no suplement and my variable group had around 1500 ppm during the light period. I did three tests with three different mothers and depending on strain i averaged 20-50% more.)

14. Try their eBay store. :hello:

15. As much time as I spend on HTG's website and as much money as I've sent their way, I can't believe I never saw that Fan Speed Controller before :rolleyes: I bought one from Amazon recently for $24, described as a 'Variable Speed Router Control'.

16. There's such a thing as going too far too soon...all the nice equipment and genetics in the world are worthless if you don't know what you're doing....and no matter how much reading you do, it all comes down to getting your fingers dirty (sticky) in the end.

You're on the right track and if you used the setup above (minus the big kit, that's a waste of time and money imo, you need about half that stuff maybe) a 4" 150-200cfm inline and 4" scrubber combo will be more than adequate

a 600w will NOT grow you "more better buds" unless you know how to use it...a 400w is a good starting point, I started indoors on a 250w MH long ago and still use the same light today in one of my spots. A good grower with a budget will always outperform a new grower with a blank check ;)

Best of luck

17. ive been wondering about this as well. I was going to go w/ a 400w for the same size tent, but then wondered what would be the point. Wouldnt a 250w light be better for newbie since heat would be less of an issue?

and by scrubber you mean a carbon filter right?

18. #18 jd4083, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
    I'd get a DR80 or similar sized tent (~ 3'x3') and a 400w CMH from advanced tech solutions, google search it. Ballast kit + all connectors + bulb (sans reflector) for around $120 shipped. Plug and play and CMH is the shit, great for veg + flower so no need to swap out. I would do a vertical grow (search icmag or google for a vertical growing website like V.G.) and stuff about 8 plants in the space surrounding a 400w in a DIY cooltube or bare bulb setup depending on the environment the tent's going into.

I just set my buddy up with the same thing for cheap. I actually have it all documented down to the cents somewhere, I'll post up the list of stuff/sources when I can find it.

peace

edit - found it, see below...and yeah "scrubber" = C. F.

[​IMG]