Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Moldy Orange and Weed

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by marijuany, Apr 23, 2015.

1. #1 marijuany, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
    Hi everyone!
    So to get to the point, i bought bud from like 3 weeks ago, was told that orange peel keeps it fresh, so i wrapped an orange peel around a baggy with weed inside. then put it in a aluminum sort of wrapper. then left in a container for about 3 weeks now (later realized should have put it in a freezer not under my bed). i finally decided to check it cause my exams are over and to celebrate and the orange molded.. like wet squishy mold and the weed it got really soft. like not soggy but soft. I know mold on weed is supposed to look all white but there arent any white stuff on it. it's all just consistently darker but it's disturbingly soft.. is it safe to smoke it still? i physically dont see white mold on it, but the orange peel that i wrapped it around was like insanely molded and i was wondering if it could have been still absorbed by the weed through the plastic..and it smells like old fruit lol

Attached Files:

2. #2 dankness420, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
    Next time, storing weed in a bag is fine.  If you really want to keep your bud hydrated consider a piece of cotton or like a q-tip.  Put bud in open bag.  put in larger bag with moisten cotton in outer bag and seal.

Personally I would toss that bud, but maybe because I keep a back up stash.  Still looks good, but...eww mold.

3. Dry it out and smoke it or I would make edibles with it after a water cure.  Since the orange peel was wrapped in foil you may be ok.  To keep your bud at the right moisture level I suggest a mason jar, or other glass jar that seals and a boveda 62% humidity pack.
    Please never keep bud in a bag.  Always use a jar.  Please.

4. You're supposed use the citrus peel trick with the weed you want to smoke right now, not your stash. The reason is exactly what you just found out, the peel is going to mold and ruin your stash. If there is mold on the peel then there is mold in the weed. As the moisture left the peel, it carried the mold spores with it.
    DO NOT make edibles with it unless you're making penicillin. I'd say toss it, but it's your weed man. If you smoke or vape it, it's going to taste like shit and you'll do yourself no favors by inhaling mold into your lungs.

Don't feel bad, it sucks. We've all been there. My first time I lost almost a quarter. I know people who've lost even more.

5. The mold on the orange isn't the type that can colonize bud, so you should be all good as long as the orange didn't come in contact with your weed.

Weird fact about oranges and mold, the white mold with blueish fringe is almost always penicillin. Don't go trying to use it for infections though, other stuff can live on the penicillin colony.

6. Fruit mold isn't bad for you, it's only going to strengthen your immune system, unless you eat a lot of it....
    Idk if that bud has mold or not on it though, but you would definitely be able to see it

7. I reckon you will be fine, the weed isn't mouldy so it should be ok

8. Break open a nug an inspect it before if u do decde to smoke.

I say throw it out. Had a respitory infection once for 3 months. It sucked. Hard to breath and had a wheeze

9. Thanks everyone! decided to throw it out. not worth the risk

10. So did you really not think that the Orange peel would mold after being left out for three weeks?

11. This is too funny, orange peel and aluminum foil! 
    Like the others posted just a bag is fine. I wouldnt have risked it either, good call throwing it out.

12. For long periods of time, bags are shit. You'll have way less potent bud. What you're going to want to do is buy a mason jar. You can't just forget about it though. You have to air it out every couple days. It'll let the flavors and aromas mature. You could store it like this for months. Even longer if you use this method and leave it in your fridge.