Moldy hash - how to tell?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by 1sttimegrower, Oct 11, 2011.

1. So I'm getting something weird on my latest QWISO batch. This is from a 1 minute shake of slightly higher than RT ISO wash.
    I've had it on a heating pad, which is the only difference between this run and others
    I'm getting a light covering of some weird stuff on it; if you can tell from the pictures it looks somewhat fibrous. Under a microscope it looks like lots of white fuzzy ridges, 100X mag.
    I know how mold looks scoped, I know how mold looks on bud and pressed hash's, I don't know what the hell this is. I do know im not smoking it, nor anyone of my collective, until I figure out if its safe or not.

Its mostly dried now, ready for scraping up almost. Going to leave it on the heating pad (on low) for another day to see if the mold spreads or gets bigger.
    Its either mold, or just the beginning of flakes as it dries; not risking it though.

Has anyone seen this firsthand before?

Attached Files:

2. Bump - anyone? I don't want to throw this away. Nothings changed; my second run is missing this stuff, the first run has it. Hasn't grown much, if at all. Theres about 30 grams sitting there, shame to lose it.

3. Ship it my address. I'll give it further inspection! One thing I know is that I'll get to the bottom of it.

4. That's weird do u have fan on it? If u don't it would prob be a good idea

5. I have both a fan and a heating pad; the pad is taken away. I never thought mold can grow on qwiso; @ lucky, sure haha, if you sign a waver saying your family can't sue me.

6. It looks more like just a wax from the plant settling on the top to me...

1 min wash is way way WAY too much with qwiso man... 30 seconds MAX is my rule, always

But that looks like some weird wax inside the plant just separating out as it evaporates and settling at the top

7. psh; I don't taste weed/hash or anything, except very slightly when I vape.
    A 1 minute wash is sexy for me; gets a high yield plus it becomes the MUCH easier to handle licorice. I like the blonde powder, but its annoying to work with and the yield is much less. I also get much different highs between the two, and the licorice fits my mood alot more often than the powder; my collective members who donate for hash also like the black goop better.

I think you might be right on the waxes; I have lots of air bubbles throughout because of the heating pad to evaporate the ISO trapped in the goop. I'm going to scope it again to check for any growth, but I doubt ill get anything. I havn't seen an increase since the first post; crossing my fingers for it being wax now haha

8. Lol the liquidity of the oil is based on the heat its exposed to more than the length of soak time. I can take a very viscous liquid qwiso and pop it in the oven at a very low temp for 20 mins and make it hard as glass.....

But yea, to each their own, sometimes i let it soak/shake a bit longer )like 5 seconds maybe) to increase the yield but im all about needing less to get further so my lungs dont take a beating hahaha

9. Taste!.. would be the best test, it's no big deal, it burns at high temps to kill any and all bugs.
    As a test you can try and grow mold on a clean sample with a bit of mold on it, in a petrie dish keep at 25-29 Deg c.

peace
    "V"

10. "facedesk facedesk facedesk"
    Your suggestion is so obvious, and I missed it. I hadn't even thought to culture a sample; Thanks!

11. Er, I hate to be so antagonistic to your posts but,
    The liquidity is based on impurities, based on exposure time. I never have liquid qwiso after drying; the worst I get is that goop which drys to a hard but pliable substance like taffy. Putting it in the oven just forces impurities out, be it water or alcohol or volatiles from the plant. Putting my powdered qwiso would do nothing in the oven except melt it together; putting the taffy-like one in would make it even less sticky (after cooling) and better to work with.
    I might have to start oven drying the goop to get the consistency I want faster, haha, instead of just burping my vials.

12. The only irony to this post is the longer you soak it in iso the more liquid it will result in.... Soak for 15 seconds, get a kief like powder, soak for 30, get a VERY VERY viscous oil, easily made solid with heat. Soak for 5 mins, you get a black sticky fucking goop tar oil that is much more of a liquid lol
    This of it this way, the iso is destroying the solidity of the plant... if you let that shit soak in iso for a day, it would be a black goopy pulp as the iso destroyed all the cell structure in the plant lol

But as i said, you can heat treat your oil and make it a solid regardless of how it ended up when you made it, i make shatter qwiso on the regular lol

13. [quote name='"1sttimegrower"']psh; I don't taste weed/hash or anything, except very slightly when I vape.
    A 1 minute wash is sexy for me; gets a high yield plus it becomes the MUCH easier to handle licorice. I like the blonde powder, but its annoying to work with and the yield is much less. I also get much different highs between the two, and the licorice fits my mood alot more often than the powder; my collective members who donate for hash also like the black goop better.

I think you might be right on the waxes; I have lots of air bubbles throughout because of the heating pad to evaporate the ISO trapped in the goop. I'm going to scope it again to check for any growth, but I doubt ill get anything. I havn't seen an increase since the first post; crossing my fingers for it being wax now haha[/quote]

U own a clinic that's sick are u in the la area I have my greens card
    so i would check ur spot out :) show sum luv

14. Haha sorry, its a small, local, collective; I don't like the clinic scene.
    OT
    I have two cultures at 28 C and 35 C going to check for mold; thanks for the input from everyone. Still crossing my fingers on sirsog being right that they are waxes.

15. How old is the oil man... if its not old it shouldn't be mold id still say.... the iso wash would have rocked any mold in the plant material so it couldn't be from that.... but if its been sitting out for like... months hahaahah id say maybe....

I have a bit of oil that's been sittin out on a razor for about a month now.... nothing on it what so ever

16. Its a week and 2 days old from when I poured the Iso thru my filter; took 3-4 days to dry. Its just I've never seen that skein on top; might be the heating pad made stuff separate.
    It hasn't grown in the cultures, but I hadn't added water to them.

Time to guinea pig this on my friend; told him I'd give him a few grams free if he'd test it for taste, and weird side effects. Dude's totally fine with risk of mold, haha.
    If stuff comes back negative, I guess im making a couple very potent batches of brownies.