Moldy Clones!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by headyhippie, Feb 26, 2009.

1. I just took 6 clones from my mother plant (for the first time). They have been in rockwool cubes in a cloning hood for 5 days. I soaked the cubes in some water with 5.5pH before i put the clones in and all that. I give them a light spray about one a day and make sure the hood is humid but i leave the small top vents open. Today for the first time i noticed that the rockwool cubes were a bit moldy, i took the hood off for a few minutes and then put it back on. I have the cloning hood sit under 2 blue spectrum cfl's, but next they are moving into the hydro system grow cab under a 250 watt hps.

My question is, when the roots start to show in the next few days, is it ok to put the moldy rockwool cubes with the clones into my hydroponic system? will it just make the roots and plants and everything in there moldy or will it not be a big deal? should i ditch this batch of clones and take some new ones?

2. No, you need to eliminate the mold first. Adding it to a hydro system where the rockwool is going to almost always be moist will spread it around. Either treat the rockwool with hydrogen peroxide until the mold is gone or try to remove as much of the rockwool as you can without damaging the plant.

3. As said remove and treat all mold first surface can be scraped clean before treating to help be more effective. Also sounds like to much humidity and water. Let a bit more air in for some proper venting. And make sure to not have excess water. Other then that should be fine and on track no need to trash plants as it should pull thru

4. I will definitely scrape the rockwool before i put it in my hydro system. Like i said i removed the hood for a few minutes to let it get some fresh air, and the i drilled a few extra holes in the hood before i put it back on to allow a bit more ventilation. If i use hydrogen peroxide, what happens if some of it reaches the roots? will it kill my clones?