Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Moderation vs. Abstinence

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by vid00d2, Sep 20, 2010.

1. It's always confounded me as to why the substance abuse recovery industry doesn't offer moderation as a suitable alternative to complete and total abstinence from pot.

It's like stoners are treated like infantile morons who lack any willpower whatsoever.

If there are any studies regarding daily users being unable to maintain moderation (say, a few times a week), I'd appreciate someone directing me towards them, but logic tells me that marijuana addicts have the ability to easily achieve moderation.

Am I wrong?

2. sometimes i feel like that. i believe i have some sort of a dependency problem. when i don't smoke i can't sleep. lack of sleep affects me weirdly.

it takes me two days to ween off. then after that i can go for weeks without smoking if i had to. but i would have bouts of insomnia if i stopped cold turkey.

3. This is what happens to me. I tried to go to bed last night without bud and I tossed and turned for three hours until I finally got up and smoked a bowl. Only then was I able to sleep.

4. The only reason they dont offer moderation is because THC doesnt directly cause withdrawals. It does provoke physical symptoms in the user though, despite not being physically addictive.

So since it causes no harm when you quit abruptly, they are legally allowed to allow people to not taper off.

5. But, still, I'm just wondering why the name of the game is always total abstinence. You would think that there might be more of an emphasis placed on harm reduction, but no, substance abuse counselors don't think that marijuana addicts can achieve moderation. It's a viewpoint that contains fascist characteristics, in my opinion.

6. Yes, but it's still illegal. If you go to rehab for pot, it's probably because you got caught and went to court. They want you to stop using completely because you're breaking the law.

Bullshit I know, you have a point, just saying, that's ^ reality.

7. Its like saying you aren't allowed to have sex cause you are way too horny..., but, we will allow you to have a handjob in the morning and one at night if you really need it.

It just doesn't work, either you smoke or you don't because obviously a lot of people smoke as frequent as they do because it's convenient and reasonable to their immediate needs (sleep, appetite, schizophrenia, etc.)

:smoke:

8. Nice to see some people feel the same way I do.

I quit cold turkey for a while after smoking for about 4 years. I couldn't sleep at all which was terrible. I felt sick after taking two bites of food and literally ate about a meals worth in the first 3 days after quitting which wasn't too cool.

Marijuana is awesome, but to ignore that there isn't some hardships with quitting is simply ignorant.

9. Ive noticed I get irritable, unable to eat anything because of apetite, insomnia, etc after taking a break for a few days. It blows that they don't give smoking moderation options to patients who are trying to quit or being forced to quit. I guess they consider the withdrawals to be so much less severe than heroin, alcohol, or even tobacco, which is why they don't provide some "easing into" quitting. Those bastards