Mobile App Not Working, Any Plans On Fixing

Discussion in 'Forum Tech Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting' started by littlejord, May 18, 2013.

1. Hey for the last week or so or whenever this new forum software was added, when I open the grasscity forum app it loads for a bit, says parse error than when I hit ok the loading thing just keeps spinning and nothing happens, anyone else have this problem or is it just me, have been waiting for someone else to address it as I was assuming it was a glitch with the app for everyone when the new gc thing was made but it has still been doing it, even deleted app and
    Redownloaded, anyone else have this error or just me

2. Grasscity no longer supports the old Forumrunner app. A new app is in the process of being submitted to the AppStore and Google Play. In the mean time, the new software has inherent mobile functionality, so just navigate to forum.grasscity.com in your mobile browser. :)

3. Just another tip to anyone who was using the app before, go to forum.grasscity.com and than click the arrow at the bottom of the screen and press add to homescreen, pretty much the equivalent of the app

5. Logged on just to see if I was the only one having this problem. Hopefully the new app will be out soon, PITA to use the desktop version on either my tablet or phone. Only thing I'm confused about is why drop support before the new app was ready? Lol, anyway can't wait to see the new app

6. I have not used my app in a while but I sometimes have trouble navigating pages on my computer. :cry:

7. #7 Verdurous, May 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2013
    You just need to click below the quote box, otherwise you end up typing in it and looking computer illiterate. lol

Also, you need to be patient. The app will be released soon, they're waiting on the AppStore and Google Play to approve them. The mobile version is temporary and not as full-featured as the responsive style, which will have identical mobile functionality to the full version. Attachment functionality should also be up any time as conversion is complete according to Gnik and they're just waiting on a maintenance task now. In the mean time, use an external hosting service like tinypic.com for your images. Hope this helps.  :smoke: 

They're having to wait on the AppStore and Google Play to approve the new app, so please be patient. They also delayed release of new responsive layout due to a bug and possible update, but it's coming next week.

8. Are they going to bring back Grasscity Forum or not? Any body knows

9. #9 Verdurous, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
    PLEASE READ THE DAMN THREAD!

Wait, you said forum, not app... are you not posting on the forum? I might just be permastoned or something, but I'm pretty sure this is Grasscity...

10. Not to jump in this thread and be another complainer...but it would probably be good practice to remove the banner from the forums pointing people on phones/mobile devices to install the mobile app if it is no longer supported...pretty sure that's a single config file change  ;-P  

thankfully i have tapatalk and could hit the forums with that...the forums in chrome suck on the nexus7.   :)

If you're on a Nexus 7 there's an Android app in the Play Store for GC...no need to go through Tapatalk.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.forumgrasscitycom&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS50YXBhdGFsay5mb3J1bWdyYXNzY2l0eWNvbSJd

12. I'll try a reinstall off the app, but it's not working as of now or any of last week.   The app loads, then promptly sits for 5 minutes then crashes.  Once the crash happens, it says click back to try again...same thing over n over.   

But I am a Linux Administrator and an Android developer (def not a n00b when it comes to technology), so I'm pretty sure there is something wrong w/ the app since the upgrade to the forums happened.

It sounds like you're still using the old app by Forum Runner. There is a new app, which I linked you to.

It's working fine on my Nexus 7 and Note 2. No problems whatsoever.

14. hmm..well, that is odd.  I have the exact same version installed on my unlocked nexus7 and on my unlocked nexus4.  Both are having the exact same issue.

oh well..tapatalk it is for me it would seem since I don't feel like dicking w/ this anymore...don't have any problems with that client and access all of my forums.  *shrugs*

15. #15 Verdurous, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
    Please listen to the guy above you... The forumrunner app is now obsolete and will not work on any device because it is no longer compatible with the server system. You now MUST install the NEW GC Branded Tapatalk app from Google Play. If the new app still doesn't work, then there must be compatibility issues with your unlock since the guy above you has no problems using it on the same phone. You can also access GC via your mobile browser by navigating to forum.grasscity.com thanks to the new inherent mobile version.

I love how no one here is sober enough to read a post and comprehend what another person writes.  The GC App that above mentioned person DOES NOT WORK.  I'm not fucking stupid.  Plus, the device in question is not a phone.  Here's some pics too.  It's installed and non functional.   I DO NOT have a single piece of Forum Runner (branded or non branded) installed on any of my mobile/tablet devices.

View attachment 118459
    View attachment 118460

I own a legit copy of Tapatalk that I paid for a number of years ago thus why I am able to use TapaTalk w/out having to install the other GC branded version.  However, I'm not interested in arguing about software and the internet w/ someone on a forum.  I do network administration and web development for a living...pretty sure I'm more well versed in the ways of the internet than 3/4 of this forums members.

Compatibility w/ a unlocked device is not and never will be an issue; especially w/ a GOOGLE BRANDED DEVICE.  This is a OEM device that can be unlocked w/out having to use any rootkit or virus (typical means of rooting an android device...ZurgRush IS a virus).  Google devices are unlocked by default and only need to have an fastboot oem unlock command issued from the bootloader.  Also to make sure it wasn't a possible issue w/ the unlock I tried my wife's stock Nexus7 and it too is unable to use the same linked app from the Google Play store.  So, there goes your whole answer about above mentioned guy being correct.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a dick, but seriously this is not an acceptable answer.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person having this issue.  There are tons of posts related to this same problem on the forums and it would seem that the administration either 1) doesn't care  or 2) can't fix it and won't own up.

17. #17 Verdurous, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
    Dude, calm down and stop being rude, otherwise no one will want to help you (and it's not like anyone, even the tech team, is required to put up with or help you when it's a free service comprised mostly of volunteers. There's no such thing as an unacceptable answer here, just unacceptable attitudes.) Your IT experience really has nothing to do with your troubleshooting issues, unless you already know how to solve this yourself. It looked to me like you were ignoring the guy above you and were still trying to use the old app, especially considering you claimed Tapatalk is working for you. The new GC branded app has identical framework as the Tapatalk app, so, at point blank, it doesn't make sense it would not work while the other still worked unless you were trying to use the old, obsolete app. Since this is apparently not the case as you claim, you're going to have to be patient and wait for the Tech Admin to address this. It seems you are in fact the only person experiencing, or at least recently complaining about, this issue, so it's most likely on your end. In the meantime, I would try reinstalling the app again. If your wife also has a GC account, I would also check to see if it's just your account or both that are affected. The more info you can provide and the better your attitude in providing it, the faster and more likely you are to find an answer.  :smoke: 

18. apps not working for me either. whenever i try to open it just a black screen comes up. 

i looked on the googleplay store cos of what one of these guys mentioned about the server change. but the same app i already have installed is showing up. and i really don't feel like downloading some tapatalk shit