Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

mmj noob..help!

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by illk37, Nov 10, 2010.

1. #1 illk37, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010
    Wow I haven't been on GC in soo long. But I tried researching this online and I couldn't find anything. I saw a thread from GC come up so I decided to just ask you blades for help

I'm debating getting a mmj card mainly for depression. I don't know if you guys consider that a legit reason to get a card but seriously it's affecting my social and school life terribly. I'm in my third year of college and I'm barely hanging on.
    Anyway, I called my doctor and asked the receptionist about mmj cards and they said they rarely prescribe it (only for cancer or serious debilitating diseases). Plus my doctor is friends with my parents and they're really close so I would rather not get a rec from her.
    My question is do I need to see a psychologist or therapist before I go to a doctor? I saw one 4 years ago when I was a minor and she said I should get antidepressants but my parents don't believe depression is a real disorder so they said no. I would rather not pay for a therapist but if it's necessary, I will. I just don't want to waste my time going down to a doctor and then being told I have to get medical records or some kind of proof. Any help is appreciated :)

BTW I'm in southern california...LA/pasadena area

EDIT: I looked through the last 14 pages of threads under medical marijuana and most of these questions are answered with someone posting a link to the sticky. I've read the sticky and similar threads but I still don't have an answer to my question. I'm not wondering if I qualify (I'm pretty sure I will), I'm just wondering what the least amount I have to pay is.

2. There are many clinics in California - some saying as cheap as under $50 - many will issue a script without medical records that prove a history. If your recommendation were ever questioned - in court - you would not want a rec issued by these bogus medical professionals.

A court could rule that your recommendation is not legal, and you have no protection of a medical defense.

clinton

3. I got my first rec through Medicann and I think I paid $100-$150 I can't remember.

I'm going through another place I found off weedmaps.com that is around $90 for renewals... but they make sure you're protected as well as they can protect you - even have a legal team.

The places advertising cheap recs usually won't help you very much if you are unfortunate enough to have to go to court. Oftentimes, if the paperwork isn't backed up on their end with proof of your condition, etc... you could be out the $$ you paid for your rec and still pay fines thru the court.

4. ah thanks for the replies! I'll look into weedmaps and call around places listed on NORML and ask about their policy on medical forms needed

this is a long shot but are psychiatrists allowed to prescribe mmj? since they can prescribe antidepressants and medication right?

5. Because depression is such a wide, all encompassing type of problem, you may have difficulty getting a recommendation for it without medical proof of some kind.

I personally struggle with depression, and I have felt that my medical mj has helped, but that's not what I got my recommendation for. I got my recommendation for some sciatica that my normal doctor told me he could do nothing for, and I had proof of this. It was reeeeally painful (it's better with the mj), so I paid $150 for my recommendation and was pretty happy. It has since also really helped with a host of problems:

I lost 40 pounds, got in better shape, am better at work, sleep better, and I'm happier. (sorry, I just love to spread the word of how great mj has been for me)

When I went to renew (with a different doctor, who was $45 to renew), I figured my existing recommendation was enough proof, but it wasn't. So they wanted to grant me a 3 month temporary recommendation until I brought some of my medical history in.

So, you never know. I would think that psychiatric proof would be required. :) good luck

6. To those depressed: If you are low income - seek appointments with psychiatrists in county offices. They will write scripts for antidepressants of some kind. They may or may not help; try them.

After 1-2 sessions - take records & prescriptions go to clinics which write recommendations. I bet you can get a valid one this way.

clinton