Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MMJ Jobs

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by MrInfinity, Apr 16, 2012.

1. #1 MrInfinity, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
    We'll I enjoy Marijuana so much I would enjoy working with it but am having issues finding information on the subject. There hasn't really been much help on the internet for locating a job dealing with bud.

I've read life stories of individuals who have taken this path in life and it seem rewarding. Offering the ability to travel, meet new individuals and to be constantly learning.

I'm moving out to a MMJ state (looking at New Mexico, Oregon, or Washington) but lack much hands of experience with the Marijuana plant itself. While I do have a lot of knowledge on the techniques of growing they've only been 2nd hand through growing of legal plants or being read. I've had luck with the crafting of edibles and have read the science behind it. I'm educated in the areas just haven't had a lot of first had experience.

I'm curious on how to move into this field of work, with out much legal job references and people not wanting to post job interviews for their trimming jobs with room for promotion. I see myself shit out of look for finding a job and would much like to avoid showing up to Oregon (or where ever) with no connection or arrow pointing me in the right direction.

I understand I can't just show up and be growing buko buds but any information on how some life long growers, activist, researchers got their foot in the door would be extremely appreciated.

I should mention I'm looking to do this legally. :smoke:

2. i live in colorado and i know that the dispensories hire card holders to grow and trim bud.
    trimmers are very popular jobs because you always need trimmers

3. I assumed I'd need my card and trimming is where I'd start out. So trimming jobs aren't to hard to find and what's they pay for this? I've heard they get like 10/hr or a zone a day. I don't honestly know.

4. I live in Washington and before you pull up stakes and move to the Pacific Northwest, let me help you decide between Washington and Oregon.

As far as marijuana laws go, I'd take Washington over Oregon any day. Getting your card is basically a rubber stamping process in Washington. Also, in Oregon, if you get your OMMP card, as far as I understand, it goes into a database that is searchable by law enforcement. This may be all well and good for some, but I am into competitive shooting sports and if you have your green card you can't buy firearms. However, in Washington, there is no such database so you can still freely obtain firearms. Like I said, that may not apply to you, but it's a talking point nonetheless and maybe you won't like the idea of the fuzz knowing your medical status. Seems like bullshit to me.

As far as LIVING goes, I have lived in Washington and Oregon. The main reason, in my mind, to go with Washington is that there is no state income tax. Oregon is going to take about 8% of your paycheck from you. There is no sales tax in Oregon though. In Washington there is just a sales tax that varies by county and municipalities, roughly ranging from 7.5% to 9.5%. The difference obviously is you only get taxed on what you spend in Washington but you get taxed on every dime you earn in Oregon.

Now if something about Oregon really appeals to you, like Portland (stoners love Portland lol), then you can have the best of both worlds and live in Vancouver, WA which is just across the river from Portland. No income tax, better MMJ laws, and you can even do your shopping in Portland and you won't have to pay sales tax.

If it were me though, I'd go for Seattle. It's a great city, absolutely beautiful, stoner friendly, lots of dispensaries, so I bet if you pounded the pavement you could find a job.

Good luck in your travels. Look me up when you get here. First bowl is on me.

5. Thanks for the info, I knew Washington was more friendly but was unaware about the firearm part of it and didn't enjoy the idea of cops knowing I smoke regardless if it's legal for me or not.

I'm from Wisconsin so hunting's something I've grown up with. Duck hunting and small games mainly but yes not being able to buy (or is it own in general) would be disappointing.

I have a lot more just general state info to look up as well, I'm just worried about being able to get my foot in the door from the get go.

6. It's illegal to own firearms if you have a medical marijuana card in either state. However, in Oregon if you were to go buy a gun and they ask you if you have your card they can actually verify if you do or not. In Washington, they don't have that option.

The federal Gun Control Act prohibits narcotics users from owning firearms. This intersects with federal drug law and federal gun law. The feds will apparently turn a blind eye to medical marijuana (typically) but won't on firearms. Probably a good thing.

But yeah, just another reason I'd pick Washington over Oregon in a heartbeat.

7. [quote name='"KingsHawaiian"']It's illegal to own firearms if you have a medical marijuana card in either state. However, in Oregon if you were to go buy a gun and they ask you if you have your card they can actually verify if you do or not. In Washington, they don't have that option.

The federal Gun Control Act prohibits narcotics users from owning firearms. This intersects with federal drug law and federal gun law. The feds will apparently turn a blind eye to medical marijuana (typically) but won't on firearms. Probably a good thing.

But yeah, just another reason I'd pick Washington over Oregon in a heartbeat.[/quote]

Your still fucked if they find firearms and weed in your house. Especially if you have your card cuz I'm sure that aspect was covered when you signed the dotted line. I sold all my guns so I can get my mmj card with no worries. Ill get more guns if the laws change. But I like my weede more than my guns. My weed gets much more use.

8. it's illegal to own a firearm if you are addicted to an illegal substance [narcotic], mmj not being illegal NOR addicting, means card holders CAN own guns.:cool:

9. Sorry, but you're wrong.

You can thank Obama's ATF.

Google is your friend.

10. Card holders can own guns, you're just not allowed to have them in the home if you are growing there. So if you know someone who lives close by and you are avid hunter or clay shooter you just have to store them at a location other than where you grow. Now if you are growing somewhere else such as a friends or what not you can still posses guns and MMJ in the same home.

11. No. You are also wrong.

Last fall the ATF said medical marijuana patients are prohibited from owning firearms, period.

Doesn't matter whether you grow or not.

12. Any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether or not his or her state has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or is addicted to a controlled substance and is prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.

-Arthur Herbert, Assistant Director for Enforcement Programs and Services for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms

September 2011

13. as if some DC puppet wouldn't tell a bold faced bullshit lie in the context of PROPAGANDA...that aspect of gun control law has NOT been tested in a court of law in a MMJ state AFAIK...(if it has, please do provide the case info...would be interesting to read)

pot is not an addictive narcotic nor illegal to use for a card holder in a mmj state...thus that law is not applicable to a mmj card holder owning a gun...simple logic, but then, DC has never understood logic and common sense...

14. Trust me man, I am 100% on your side on this one, I wish it were the case.

The one case I am quite familiar with was from Oregon, an MMJ state. A man in Washington County was denied a concealed handgun license due to his OMMP status. The reason being because of this bullshit. It was appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court which declined to hear the case.

I am with you that pot is "legal" in an MMJ state if you have a valid card. However, it is still a Schedule I controlled substance according to the goddamn feds and is federally illegal. Medical marijuana is against federal law. That much is plain and simple. And Obama's ATF has ruled that if you have your MMJ card, that is tantamount to being a hapless drug addict and you cannot own firearms.

Remember the supremacy clause. Federal law trumps state law.

The DEA generally turns a blind eye to medical marijuana, but it still is illegal and there have been several dispensaries in Eastern Washington that have been raided by the DEA. Did they have shady business practices? Eh, I don't really know, but still.

Regardless, I'll keep my guns and my weed. :cool:

Anyway, I feel like we're hijacking this thread. Haha... sorry OP.

15. Haha a tad bit but again I got some info I wasn't aware of. I'm still looking though, I curious how some of these lifers got their start.

I've been reading a lot of personal blogs of the more well know blades. :smoke:

16. Very cool, man. Follow your dreams! I'm subscribed to this thread so post more or feel free to PM me.

17. Thanks, if I do hit the greyhounds I'll hit you up after my 9 mile hike from Portland to Vancouver. At the moment I'm split between getting out of here for a MMJ state and waiting for one of my best friends to get off paper (1 1/2 years). He's even offered to cover my rent as long as I don't care to sleep in the living room and to see that dedication is worth the wait.

Regardless of when I move I'm still interested and how people become lifers, I mean to go from trimming to someone growing the shit helping with 200+ plant grows is a large step and I'm curious to all of the minor details of this process.

18. Ha, no need to hike, man. I live about 30 minutes from Vancouver actually and I am always going down there for one reason or another (like to get my Medical Marijuana card tomorrow! -- sorry, I have mentioned this on about 50 threads but I am just so pumped).

You can't live with me, sorry :p, but would be cool to visit and :bongin: haha and show you some cool places around Portland or all around the area perhaps.

As long as you're not some stone cold sociopath murderer. :hide:

Could make for an interesting weed/murder/mystery story! :cool:

19. Oh also, you'd think there has got to be some users on this site who have been through the process you're hoping to get into. Keep digging. You'll find him. Or her.

20. Exactly my hopes, there's all sorts of cool unique people on GS and I know the has to be some members that will have information that will help me.