Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MMJ for Asperger's or HFA?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by apollo45, Dec 26, 2008.

1. #1 apollo45, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
    i dont live in a state that has mmj so i dont really know who to ask. have you or someone you know been perscribed marijuana for asperger's or high functioning autism?

2. Asperger's usually has anxiety accompanying it and here in CA you definitely can get mmj for anxiety. As for the asperger's itself, I don't know.

3. how does it work over there when applying for mmj for anxiety? because isnt that kind or vague and subective? how do they differentiate between the phonies and the people that truly suffer anxiety.

also, if you didnt already know, heres a link to explain what asperer's is.

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html

4. My brother has it. I know that he's smoked a few times with some friends but I don't suspect that it's much.

I imagine that there are some people with this condition who can get benefits from smoking, but, at the same time, others probably can't handle it. One issue is the cost.

Fortunately, my brother is anti drug and anti alcohol. He eats like a pig, however. It's possible to imagine someone who over focuses on things to get habitual with weed, too. It's not cheap.

5. If you truly need medical marijuana you can get it.

6. #6 apollo45, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008

not where i live, haha. but i guess what i meant was that i know it works for me. but it would be hard for someone else to see it. on the surface there will be little to no difference whether im high or not, but when im high, my mind is at ease. sometimes its more obvious that its helping, sometimes not. just like when im not high, sometimes i can control how nervous and socially anxious i get, but sometimes not. if im willing to move somewhere that has mmj and make an effort to change my life for the best, do you think i will have difficulty getting my card? ive had plenty of bad experiences with psychiatrists as a kid and today: miss diagnosis, medication that never helped, etc. anyway, i never once felt like they actually listened/undertood me.

7. i work 40+ hours a week at domino's pizza as a driver, i always have cash for an eighth of some dank. and sometimes when i get paid i get a half. i probably smoke too much for my own good. but its not like i spend every penny on weed. i save mad money too.

8. If everything is well documented (Doctor records) then you probably can.

9. thanks for the input so far guys.

but does anyone know someone with asperger's who has mmj?

10. ^ Not personally, but I've seen another blade here mention thats their medical reason they use cannabis and I think they have it legal too.

11. I think you should if you cant, because my little bro has asbergers and when he smokes it seems to definitely help

12. An online acquaintance has Asperger's and smokes. but she's in Florida and I'm in California, and we've never met. She says for her it helps.

You might find these interesting reading.-

Autism and Medical Marijuana
    http://autism.com/treatable/drug/marijuana_org.htm

THE SAM PROJECT: James D.
    http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/articles/james_d.htm

Medical marijuana: a valuable treatment for autism?
    http://www.autismwebsite.com/ari/newsletter/marijuana.htm

Sam's Story: Using Medical Cannabis to Treat Autism Spectrum Disorder
    http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/cmu/SamsStory.htm

Granny :wave:

13. Be careful, friend. I know a guy with Aspergers and he started smoking to help with his social awkwardness. It led to the point where he would love actually being able to interact with others normally so much, that he got dependant on the high. When he wasn't high, he would go back to his awkwardness and hated it.

Now, I'm not by any means saying this happens to everyone...in fact, he's the only one I've even heard of this happeneing to...but be careful once you start smoking a lot (which will happen if you get approved for MMJ).

14. ^^^ what is your point? if no medications he's currently on can make him function "normally" besides weed, he should get a card and start growing his own. being 'dependent on the high' is like saying you're 'dependent on xanax' for anxiety, or 'dependent on zoloft' for depression. if you're bettering the quality of your life, there should be NO issue

15. I would like to partially agree with you, xanax and zoloft DO lead to dependence, and can actually cause anxiety more when you stop taking them. Doctors don't tell a patient to stop taking their insulin if they are a diabetic, so stopping any medication (including marijuana) is dangerous, because it can induce a relapse of whatever symptoms they were first having. There are some special cases, but there is a strong difference between addiction to a drug and dependence to a medicine.

16. you aren't given most medications to ease your way out of a disease, it is to cope with a disease, obviously you're going to be dependent if it makes your life better. if you're life is better and there are no harmful side effects then an addition to a drug isn't a bad thing.

17. Yea I guess it would be fine if he had a card and could legally get as much and use as much as he wanted...especially if he got a lot of edibles or vaped all his meds. Then there's no question it's a damn fine med.

18. wow! i havent had to time to log in these past few days, but im thankful for the interest. you guys have basically dialogued my thoughs... and came to the same conclusion. if i just give in to the fact that i will always have to take something to ease my racing mind, whether it be perscribed or not, why dont i do it by my own means? which would be growing it myself, legally.

also, even if i was on xanax or zoloft (i have been on both), those medications are probably worse for my health than MJ, at least on a long term basis. one of the reasons i quit my medications was because they kept upping my dosage when i never thought it helped in the first place. i cant imagine taking these meds for the next 20-30 years will be good for my health.

19. i just wanted to add that i didnt mean to say that i will always have to take something for my racing mind. some days i honestly dont feel a need to get high, or at least i dont worry about the next time i will smoke. these past few months have been kind of pivotal for me and i have been dependant on MJ. but since these past two weeks have been better, i feel my dependency dropping. so why not smoke MJ? as long as im honest with myself and smoke as needed, then whats the big deal right? as suburban toker said: "if you're bettering the quality of your life, there should be NO issue."

20. If someone were to be blazing with aspergers im pretty sure itll make them... slower.