Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MJ and Bone Growth/Fusion?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Pngwyn, Apr 24, 2011.

1. #1 Pngwyn, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2011
    So last August I got surgery on my foot to fix a long lasting injury, and basically they put 2 screws in my foot to fuse one of the bones and create stability. (lapidus procedure, type of bunionectomy)

About 3 months in, the doctors said I could do some light walking/etc, but a month later they x-rayed the fusion site and looked even worse and I needed to take another good 3 months off of it.

I recently had another checkup with the doctor and things are progressing, but slower than usual. I have been vaping MJ pretty much daily, sometimes multiple times a day for minor pain and mostly as a pick me up because it sucks being stuck inside... could this have a negative impact on bone growth/fusion?

I have read a lot of both sides, one saying that it's good for bone growth, and another saying it's bad. I am considering stopping for a while anyways so I can rule it out as a cause, but I am just wondering if any of you have knowledge on this topic?

The reason I bring this question up is because at the doctor's office when he noticed the slow progress he asked me a bunch of questions, one of them being if I smoked. I said no at the time (regretfully, shoulda just said I smoke MJ) because I assumed he just meant cigarettes, since I thought the nicotine would be bad for recovery, but I suppose it could be more than just that.

Any insight would be -greatly- appreciated. This down time has proven to be really depressing, and has taken a lot longer than I thought it would :(

2. Thanks a lot. Unfortunately most of the articles I have found are not conclusive either :( Guess Ill take a break for a couple of months.