Mixing LED with HPS

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by moetskeism, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Hi all,

Im looking into adding a pair of LEDs to my existing setup and am looking for informed opinions by those who are familiar with LED already if possible.

At the moment I run 3 x 600w HPS lights covering an area of 3.5m x 1.5m, and am looking to add either 2 x 150w (50x3w) or 2 x 300w (100x3w) LEDs in between the 600s, both to increase the spectral range and also add more light to these areas of the room that I have found produce less than the areas well lit by the HPS lights.

The question is, would the 150w LEDs be adequate for this, or should I stump up for the 300w LEDS? Or would the 300s be overkill given the area they're covering?

Thanks in advance :D

2. imo, hid lighting is head and shoulders better than led's, and everything else. if you have money to spend on more lighting, why not stick with hid? you can "never" have too much light! as long as you can keep the environment under control, by all means, add more light! the only problem i can see in adding led's, would be is it going to get in the way of the other light? led's can be placed closer to your canopy than your hid, so placement of the led fixture could be a problem. as far as mixing the different kind of lighting, no problemo!

3. Hey Growbot, thanks for chiming in. The reasons Im looking at LED over adding more HID are:

- I have a relatively low ceiling in my room, and have temp issues from time to time over summer even with the current setup (3 600s in Cooltubes and a large extractor fan/filter system). The LEDs give off very little in the way of extra heat so shouldn't contribute too much to this problem, and

- Im curious about the technology and want to experiment with it as supplementary lighting rather than drastically changing what Im already doing successfully - I know and trust HID lighting, but I've also read plenty of good material on the benefits of the LEDs in terms of providing the exact spectrums the plants need for growth.

Also, the cool tubes allow me to run the 600w lights relatively close to the canopy, so the disparity between the ideal LED and HID heights would be minimal.

Cheers

4. hi all , I'm currently doing a grow with about 12 other gc members growing g.d.p.'s ,
    my setup is as follows 1-1000 watt hps,1- 240 watt led,1-300 watt led,and 1-360 watt led .
    I've never done a combined led/hps grow before,but my reasoning is to give the plants as broad a spectrum of bandwiths needed to grow large buds and pack on size
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1147370-kens-gdp-anyone-79.html#post17784217
    heres the thread if interested