mineral oil cooling

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by KaltHerz, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all, sometimes we use mineral oil to submerge high end pcs to keep them cool.

Thoughts on filling a cool tube with mineral oil? Might lose some light but feel like you could make it up with distance.

2. thats definitly a great way to burn down your house and live in jail instead...

3. #3 KaltHerz, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
    Not a very constructive dialog. I'm not an idiot. Its a coolant, my North bridge doesnt burst into flames, nor does my cpu that would literally melt down without the coolant.

4. #4 baumeister, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
    its also very flammable...
    cooltubes are great as they are, they pull off the heat directly from the lamps and they serve as air exhausts.
    say you build a recirculating cooltube system that works with mineral oil, then you gotta build an extra unit outside the grow room to cool down the oil and you still have to install an exhaust fan in your grow room cuz you need air circulation. why would you want to complicate things like that?
    besides, cooling computers and cooling HID lamps are two different things. HID lamps get MUCH hotter (easily hot enough to evaporate the oil, which would cause pressure fluctuations, which could break the lamp), I doubt that mineral oil could ever be an adequate coolant for that. its just way too flammable.

so yes, you are kind of an idiot ;)

Please make your point without namecalling-PF

5. #5 KaltHerz, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
    And you're kind of a dick. Thanks for the advice.

2w wrongs don't make a right-PF

6. [quote name='"KaltHerz"']And you're kind of a dick. Thanks for the advice.[/quote]

Funniest dialogue lol

7. Lol well it wasn't like it wasn't helpful.

8. [quote name='"KaltHerz"']Lol well it wasn't like it wasn't helpful.[/quote]

Lol I feel you I just read the convo and bursted n2 laughter had 2 add my 2 centz

9. #9 patriofarmer, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    Liquid flammable or not, is not advised in close proximity to an electrical device such as any type of grow light.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.