Mineral Oil Ballast Immersion

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Tenebrous, May 28, 2010.

1. So I have a couple of lovely thousand-watt magnetic ballasts, which I picked up for a song, but they lack a case. I'd figured on bolting them to the ceiling or getting a metal shop to make a case for them; I'm not really too concerned. However, I was thinking that it would be simple enough to get another twenty gallon tub, fill it with mineral oil, and stick it on the floor somewhere. I believe this would have the following advantages

1. It would prevent water damage to the ballasts. Pretty much any sealed container would do this, but if you were to find a nice nonconductive fluid with density > water, you'd be set.
    2. It would be more effective in terms of cooling the ballasts, and
    3. It would distribute the heat more evenly and slowly.
    4. You can put your ballasts on the floor without worrying about spilling your bubble bucket on them.
    5. It's a cheap solution, and if I had a (sealed, caulked, and preferably on a cut-to-size platform with casters) one of these lying around, I'd probably want to set it underneath my aerocloner and have the heat put towards some useful purpose.
    As far as disadvantages go, it's probably going to be easier to rearrange the furniture if you don't have all your ballasts in the same box, but I like to have heavy things on the floor, with casters attached, for just that reason. Also, I'm gonna have to seal the box. Mineral oil has a tendency to wick up cables, which is probably funny the first time you see it happen and not a lot after that. There are a number of ways to prevent that, though, and if I build this, I'll find y'all a good one.

I can't think of anything else to add. Your thoughts and critique are greatly appreciated.