Mind Boggling

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by '/ul-l9l-l0-/3, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Just woke up like an hour ago, smoked a few bowls of Afgan my boy grew, and read some shit about the Universe.

If one were to venture to the edge of the Universe, what would s/he see? Would it just be a black void, or will s/he cease to exist if s/he left our Universe?

I know we don't have the tech, just wondering what would happen.

2. Ah I like thinking about the edge

Sometimes i wonder if its just really like, emptiness, kind of like the space in between an atoms nucleus and it's orbiting electrons, like that space in between them is just nothing right? So could it be that its just nothing past the edge, and then that helps that theory that we could just be the atom of a giants finger but i dunno if i believe that "giant" theory.

3. But what exactly is nothing? We can't see nothing. Would it be black, white? What would happen if someone left this Universe.

Sorry if I don't make sense. Kinda blown.

4. I think one would cease to exist altogether.

I mean to merely leave earth one has to have technology to venture off and still be able to survive.

But to leave the universe. To leave a creation we're apart of ..I think would mean not to exist.

It's weird how I came to this conclusion so yeah ..lol

5. Would we disappear? Would we go into another Universe? Shit is just mind boggling.

6. what if there is no edge??

7. Then how would the Universe expand?

8. It's probably empty until you hit the next universe.

9. I guess what i was trying to say was... uh that there is nothing already here in our ordinary universe (the space between electrons and protons and such) so that the fact there is nothing beyond the edge doesn't seem soo strange to me.

As for color of nothing i would suppose black or possibly only the color of the matter behind it if there is any.

If one were to cross this point, I'd say either nothing would happen as matter is just moving into space that had no matter previously because since the universe is expanding it itself is constantly crossing its own "edge" taking up more space so I guess a human would just end up taking up some more space

or I'd say that matter can not pass through the edge at all

10. [quote='/ul\l9l-l0\/3;6411642]Then how would the Universe expand?[/quote]Think of it like the surface of a balloon. You're an ant on the surface. You meander around, walking in what you believe to be a straight line. But then you end up back where you started. Then imagine somebody began to inflate it more. There's still no edge that you can see and yet the bloody thing is still expanding, and the distance between things is still increasing.

Einstein used this analogy to describe general relativity and universal expansion. There is no edge to the Universe, nor is there a center (or you might call the whole Universe its own center) just as there is no center to the surface of a balloon, and yet it expands.

11. Yea something like this, going along with that giant atom theory that we are in a "proton" or something of the sorts of an even BIGGER atom. The next universe would be something like that of another "proton" or possibly "neutron"

I guess that could raise a question like, Does our universe have an overall charge? Like do all the magnetic, electric, gravitational, etc forces give our universe a charge or other measurable characteristic?

12. So what you say is, if we travel to what we perceive the "edge" of our Universe, we would just be on the other side of the Universe? We would keep going in a circle?

13. probably some huge wall of cosmic fire and radiation that is either not moving, expanding, or contracting.

or all 3.

or it might be a mall.

14. [quote='/ul\l9l-l0\/3;6412073]So what you say is, if we travel to what we perceive the "edge" of our Universe, we would just be on the other side of the Universe? We would keep going in a circle?[/quote]No, we'd just end up back where we started. Imagine the ant walking in a straight line on the surface of the balloon. The balloon is circular, so as the ant traversed the surface they would eventually end up back at their starting point. The universe we live in (could be) finite, but we would have no way of seeing the boundaries.

15. The thing I don't understand about this is, we're not on the surface of the balloon, we're on the inside of the balloon. Look at it this way, the ant is inside the balloon, and he reaches the rubber of the balloon. What would happen if the ant penetrated the balloon, and went out of the balloon?

Hope that makes sense.

16. No, it's an analogy. The analogy only goes so far. The surface of the balloon is analogous to spacetime. It wraps around on itself. It is finite - it has limits - but there are no visible boundaries. We move around in spacetime, and it's analogous to the ant moving on the surface of the balloon. If we travel through space far enough we'll eventually end up back where we started.

17. If we keep going straight, how would we end back up where we started? It makes no sense what your trying to say.

[​IMG]

My pro Paint skills. If we keep going straight to the edge, like I illustrated, how would we loop back around.

18. starbucks.

cosmic microwaves, folded space/time... and starbucks.

19. I know the question is theoretical, but since the universe is expanding once you reach the end of the universe wouldn't it just expand past that?

20. #20 ACTG, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
    '/ul\l9l-l0\/3\t
    the analogy of the ant traveling on the surface of the balloon is accurate. you must remember that space time is 4 dimensional 3 space dimensions and one time. for this example the ant is a 2d creature that travels on a 3d surface (the balloon) the ant cannot perceive the roundness of the balloon so it thinks its moving in a straight line. but what it discovers after its journey around the universe is that it has returned to where it has started. now for this analogy to work for us add 1 dimension to the example and you have our situation.