Mind blown

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Herbinator3000, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Sitting out looking at the stars last night and had a realisation, every star we see is millions of light years away so we are seeing light from a range of dates all at the same time almost like were seeing different stages of history. Don't know if this makes sense but can you see where I'm coming from ? Anyone else thought about this ? Yes I was high

2. It makes sense and now that you mention it that is pretty crazy. Space is amazing. There's billions of stars and they all have their own solar systems. I always wonder how big it is out there. Whats at the end? It makes me feel tiny.

3. Learned about this in high school, you are absolutely correct, the light emitted from stars started year and years ago depends on the range, so essentially you ARE looking at the past. Some of the stars you are seeing are already burnt out but you still see the light from them. Definitely a trip to think about.

4. Yes it takes (i think) 8 minutes for the sun's light to reach the earth. If you look at the sun now you are witnessing what burned 8 minutes ago.

5. wow man far out 

6. #6 Acid Raindrops, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

And who knows what else is out there.. I'm sure there are stars bigger than VY Canis Majoris even.
    Can you imagine if there is another planet out there with life? Maybe there is a planet that is thousands or even millions the size of earth with life and as a result things have evolved to grow in proportion to THEIR environment, meaning we could be the size of an alien's eyelash or like bacteria to them or something. :bongin:

7. If anyone of you have seen the videos that show you the endless milkways and galaxies in the universe, you have to believe that there are other places like earth. Just image the possibilities. It gives you the chills and a rush.

Our galaxy is enough to make my head explode.

8. A lot of those stars we see do not even exist anymore, they've been gone for a long time but their light is just reaching us now.  There's new stars which we can't even see yet with or without a telescope, but one day in the far, far future will be visible.       

9. Oddly I visited this thread earlier, and couldn't agree more OP. This video reminded me of you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M9CjmywZ3yQ