Mind Blowing

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by BigGreenBudz, Sep 29, 2011.

1. If a person was born deaf what language to they think in?

2. The same language that Helen Keller speaks.

3. A language, based on what they feel, I bet you there language would be a lot more precise for that person than English.

4. Whatever makes sense to em. Don't think it'd be words. Whatever they see. IDK It makes sense to me, I just cant explain it..........Wait a minute......Kinda like that I guess

5. We should ask a deaf person .

6. Well, they'd eventually learn Braille....so whatever 'language' they learn through that...but before that...good question...probably just their own

and lol @ Heller Keller goodsmoke

7. They think in sign language and images

If they're completely deaf they have no concept of sound and therefore can't have a sound based language

8. Just because you are deaf doesn't mean that your capacities for language are significantly different from those who are not.

Strong evidence for a genetic language ability comes from the observation that children who are not exposed to any speech, but are able to interact with each other, will invent their own language, which is complex in syntax and meaning. This has been seen in deaf children who were not exposed to sign language. Amazingly, as long as they had someone to interact with, they managed to communicate complex thoughts by inventing their own system of signing."
    -John Ratey, A User's Guide to the Brain, p. 262

"The neurobiology of sign language gives us greater insight into how language is organized in the brain...PET studies on deaf signers show that inner speech or self-talk occurs in the left inferior cortex, just as in hearing individuals, which confirms the notion that the left hemisphere houses language, including sign language. It also suggests that inner signing is controlled by the same regions that control inner speech, even though it appears to involve internal representation of hand and arm movements, which are normally under the control of the visuospatial brain areas in the right hemisphere. However, comprehension of external signing increases activity in parts of both the left and right hemispheres, bringing the right hemisphere back into play to help assess visuospatial relations. These findings, plus studies of brain damage in signers, indicate that the left hemisphere's role derives from higher-order properties of language."
    -John Ratey, A User's Guide to the Brain, p. 276*

*given with the notable caveat that the brain can show remarkable plasticity in some cases. In some instances of brain defects/damage, the right hemisphere can actually begin taking over many language-production responsibilities

9. most completely deaf people think in sign language. Similar to how an “inner voice” of a hearing person is experienced in one’s own voice, a completely deaf person sees or feels themselves signing in their head as they “talk” in their heads.

10. Do you think in words or do you think in concepts and then turn them into words because that's the way we communicate.

11. You think in image

12. I think the citations that I posted point rather definitively to the latter. The language-processing in signers is still taking place in the same parts of the brain that it does in anyone else, (usually) not in the right hemisphere. This suggests that the visualization such a speaker uses while thinking is not substantially different from anyone else's.

Again, this hypothesis hasn't really been borne out empirically.

13. They think in images, and sign language.

I wish I had never learned English, languages are so constraining to my thoughts.

14. Or at least learn a language that suits you or your goals, like Chaldean.

15. Actually they think with all the other senses that still work>>>images,senses etc