Miles Davis

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Only Live Once, Aug 30, 2006.

1. I know some blades on here like the late,great Miles Davis.I just picked up the Miles Davis Essential collection with two albums which span his entire career that has been treating me quite nicely.He was an amazing musician who's music has touched many souls among many generations,and his music will forever live on.Any thoughts?​

2. hey do you like les mccain and eddie harris. a sweet album is swiss movement

3. Miles has influenced almost every single Jazz Musician. He is one of the greatest, most important figures in all of music history. Yes, his music will live forever and he will always be remembered as one of the best.

keep listening

4. I think he's my dad's favorite musician, so he got me into him when I was like 15. The first album I really liked was "Miles In The Sky." "Stuff" is a cool song on that record. I never got HEAVILY into him, but I do really like the album I already mentioned along with "Kind of Blue" and "Sketches of Spain." I should probably go through my dad's records and pull out a few more one of these days.

5. I love Miles, his music is so just so.......it's amazing.

6. Couldn't agree more.Thanks for the comment :) .

7. I have so much of Miles Davis' music I don't even know what to do with myself. Everything from his early days with Charlie Parker to the Miles and Friends days. I can easily say that he single-handedly was responsible for getting me into jazz, because after my dad bought me Kind of Blue, I knew that's what I wanted to do with my life.

The greatest thing about Miles is that he could've played Bop for 40+ years...and still would have been loved by everyone. However, he played it ALL. Bebop, hardbop, cool modal music, fusion, early hip-hop, whatever. His quartets, quintets, and sextets have featured the best jazz musicians of all time: John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, Bill Evans, Philly Joe Jones, Red Garland, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Tony Williams, and Ron Carter.

If you haven't listened to Miles, you MUST get these recordings:

Birth of the Cool

Kind of Blue

Milestones

Nefertiti

Bitches Brew

8. So thats why you have such good taste in music. What do you play?

9. Tenor Sax. Being in a conservatory is harder than I would have ever imagined, but I'll come out of here sounding 1000x better than I do now.

10. yeah, im a fan :)
    [​IMG]
    and still so many albums missing

It was actually Parliament that was my bridge from grunge rock to jazz. But it was Davis and Bitches Brew that was my starting block. From there I went from the extreme weirdness of Sun Ra and then so far into each sub genre. I've actually been getting into african jazz lately, I picked up a few albums from Ahmed Abdul-Malik, Jazz Sahara ('58) East Meets West ('59). He was the bassist for Thelonious Monk. Very interesting stuff, its near seamless in its mixture of jazz standards and eastern motifs

11. If you dig Ahmed Abdul-Malik, and Jazz mixed with Earthern/African Music, check out Yusef Lateef.

12. ahh very good suggestion. I'm badly in need of another hardrive, looks like Eastern Sounds will be the last aquisition for a while.

13. Miles Davis bump for those who love Bitches Brew.

14. yeayeayeayea, I have the full Bitches Brew sessions. So good...definitely an interesting experiment.

My favorite Miles stuff is his shit in the 70s; Live Evil, On the Corner, Water Babies, etc. Try to find the "Complete Cellar Door Sessions" box set; that shit is FUNKY!

15. bitches brew is one of the greatest albums of all times

16. One of the greatest musicians of the 20th century in my opinion. The only jazz artist who might have him beat is Charlie Parker.

17. With the official sig, I feel I should say, cool bump!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xczGCvAAorY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xczGCvAAorY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

18. That's quite a claim.

19. I'll repeat a post I made earlier in this thread:

He could be consider one of, if not, the greatest musician of the 20th century for this reason. The man revolutionized jazz, not once, but several times. Also, the powerhouse of all-stars that he created through his bands over the years is pretty unparalleled.

20. I meant putting Charlie Parker first was a tall claim. I stand behind Miles all the way.