Michigan Supreme Court Outlaws Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by mikeyak420, Feb 8, 2013.

1. The michigan supreme court... Sucks. They all need to smoke a bowl and chill out. Maybe a secret batch of brownies...

2. #22 Verdurous, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
    They didn't outlaw MMJ, they outlawed dispensaries/sales in favor of a system more like Oregon's, which I fully support and agree with. I'm sick of mmj being used as a loophole for commercial weed. All they do is scalp legit patients who actually benefit medically and shouldn't be forced to pay commercial prices. In Oregon, exchanging consideration for weed is still illegal under the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program. You can only compensate your grower for their expenses, not pay them a profit on top of that and I think that's the way it should be. The bullshit going on in California is only a con to have weed stores to profit off it like it were legal, not provide testament to the people who use it as such. This was a very good court decision that doesn't set us back at all, but rather serves to help separate mmj from the commercial recreational industry. :smoke:

3. does this mean those jobs will be gone, along with the large investments that people are putting in for medical marijuana?

Do dispensaries have lower prices than the black market because of competition with other dispensaries?

And as far as surrounding states, i know of some people who get supplies from medical mj growers, does this not hurt them, and us as well?

What about restricted access? Will it be harder for patients to get mmj now?

All and all i think this will hurt Michigan's cause for marijuana reform. Because altho some people might cheat the system, they help drive reform with greater numbers, and that helps the people who need mmj the most.

But hey!!If im wrong im wrong, but thats how i see it as of now. I think of all the states michigan in particular needs the marijuana tax boost, so the closer to having taxed fully recreational marijuana the better.

4. #24 Nash92, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
    The dispensary I live right down the street from plans to remain open until they are forced to close. But they also know what they're doing, and if they are shut down, there's a plan to create some sort of delivery system. Quite possibly the best dispensary in the Ann Arbor area. :D

It's a damn shame, despite being one of the first states to bring forth medical marijuana, and two states having legalized since then, Michigan wants to play the role of the black sheep. Prior to Amsterdam, Ann Arbor was the weed capital! The people want it, the economy will boost greatly, yet we're still jumping through hoops...

5. What happened to being a government by the people for the people?

6. The first proposed amendment to the Constitution putting limits on congressional apportionment was never ratified, so we gradually turned into an oligarchy and have gradually lost most major elements of representation and democracy within the federal government as well as subsequently a lot of our rights to govern ourselves at the state and local levels in favor of unilateral federal dictation by a corrupted legislature. :confused_2:

7. Could you further explain what you mean by this? not sure if I understand...

8. Have you seen some of the prices for medicial marijuana in the dispensaries? It's black market prices. I believe the person you quoted was stating that it's not right that people who need cannabis for therapeutic purposes are forced to pay an inflated price to give people tons of profit. I know first hand how cheap and easy cannabis is to grow, and there is no reason besides legal ones that should have weed costing anywhere near where it does now.

It costs like 10 dollars an ounce to produce indoors. I think patients should absolutely be allowed to pay at cost for their medicine.

9. I agree with this, prices need to be reconsidered. Where I go, Top shelf strains cost $20 a gram, with the Platinum shelf costing $22 a gram; it adds up incredibly quickly.

10. That's outragious! That's literally higher than the black market price for recreational marijuana here on the east coast. People in MMJ states with experience usually always report that going through a caregiver is a far better way than dispensaries, because a caregiver only has to really cover costs. Dispensaries are looking to cover costs and make a huge profit margin.

11. Exactly. $10 an ounce is a little low, but I'd say $100/oz. is probably a reasonable maximum that medical users should be obligated to reimburse and that would be for a very well taken care of hydroponics set-up. All of this bullshit about $20+/gram weed adding up to ounces costing up to like $600 in the name of medicine is fucking ridiculous. There's absolutely no justification as they're making 600% profit (more than 200% based on street prices) on LEGAL weed without any risk off of people trying to treat a medical condition. That's worse than the monopolistic bullshit pharmaceutical companies pull. All they're doing is creating a front for a pseudo-medicinal, entirely commercial operation where they're pricing as if there's no one who uses weed legitimately and it's just a recreational market, which leads to legit users being scalped just to treat their conditions. That's not right. Places like that should be shut down and stripped of their profits, IMHO.

12. there are both growers and dispensaries that are in it to make money .. no doubt..but there is also the most genuinely compassionate people on both sides there to help..

dispensaries do suck for a lot or reasons.. once i saw a quarter for 140$ and grams of under purged wax for 120/g *cough* american meds *cough* *cough*.. but ive also seen a terminal cancer patient receive about 200$ worth of medicine free of charge.

the current dispensary i go to is 250/oz 130/half for top shelf.. back when i had my caregiver it was about the same price but noticeably lesser quality. but certainly i agree on average the prices are a lot higher in dispensaries

13. I think theres a lot of people thinking if mmj was way cheaper than illegal weed (100/oz) we would be seeing even more non-legit card holders scamming the system. Still.. certainly not an excusable reason to keep prices so high..

14. Then we need to actually punish the doctors over-recommending the cards. The doctors that are giving cards out for mild conditions by the hundreds should be losing their licenses, IMHO.