Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Michigan Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by NDIrishInTheMitten, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Hello everyone. This is my first forum post on here. I have an important topic I'm seeking knowledgable advice on.

I'm 20 years of age and reside in Michigan. I am a full-time college student working towards degrees in Psychology and Coaching. I have become very interested in trying Medical Marijuana.

I am very active and struggle with chronic pain everyday. During the ages 12-14, I wore a back brace due to a slight crack in my L-4 vertebrae. The injury has healed, but I still have lingering pain in my lower back. At age 15, I began getting intense shoulder/neck pain which was initially misdiagnosed by my old doctor as a torn rotator cuff, later to be diagnosed as a shifted disk in my neck. The shifted disc causes me much pain to this day. At times I feel like my right Trapezius is attached by only one limb or something. At age 17, I broke both my Radius (clean break) and Ulna (unclean break). I underwent surgery, received four screws, two steel plates, and had to do physical therapy for three months. I have nerve damage in my hand/arm from the two incisions, although thanks to therapy over time gained most of my range of motion back. A little over a year later at age 18, I got an avulsion fracture in my thumb. I now have arthritis in that thumb from the injury, and sometimes swelling. In my lifetime I have had X-Rays, Cat-Scans, MRI's, EMG's, and more. I am currently still visiting with doctors monthly for my arm and shoulder/neck. Luckily, the future is looking bright on fixing my neck, but even then I still have multiple injures that give me everyday pain.

I am sick of prescription pills. I've taken many pain killers and the negatives seem to outweigh the positives. When taking them I experience much more stomach pain and even feelings of depression. I do not like to think of myself as someone who relies on pharmaceutical drugs, which has lead me to look into natural medicine.
    After many hours of research, I firmly believe Marijuana presents many health benefits that can help people suffering from the listed conditions, and possibly more. Contrary to my belief, it's still illegal on federal law and poses a big risk if caught. The risk is too big for me to try Medical Marijuana without a card.

I plan on going to a Marijuana doctor and not my regular doctor. With my condition being chronic pain, I'm confused as to what I must bring with me when seeing the doctor. Will I need my medical records present with me? I have visible injures from the surgery to my arm with two huge scars on my arm, and a couple of prescription pain killer medicine bottles from my doctors I could bring in.

My chronic pain effects my everyday way of life, sometimes to the point the pain is so bad I can have little body shakes from fatigue and many sleepless nights. I will also have issues simply finding a comfortable position to sit in during class, which then effects my ability to concentrate.

Everything I've said on here will be everything the doctor I meet with hears from me. I believe Medical Marijuana can greatly help me improve my life, and that's why I think it's worth a shot. I am sick of having to take hydrocodone, oxycodone, meloxicam and others pharmaceuticals daily.

Thank you to all who took the time to read everything.

2. the medical mj doctors need to see your medical history so either go to your doctor and ask him for your medical history or call the medical marijuana doctor your going to and tell them to ask your doctor to fax them over to them only some places do that you need to call and check to see if they'll do it. best of luck to you

3. Thanks so much! : )

4. I am a new Michigan medical marijuana patient. Take the Dr. all the info you have, with the conditions you posted you qualify. The state hits you a hundred bucks and the docs have their fees, send signed forms certified mail to state. I also have back problems, multiple surgeries, fusions, and additional disk problems the surgeries didn't get. Chronic pain sux, doesn't sound like you need to hear that though. I first found relief back in January through a friend of my daughter, I use a purple kush strain that makes me forget all about that pain, just a few hits and I'm good for a couple three hours. I have learned that some type strains do not help much but that kush works every time for me. Using still effects other things with me, like making me forgetful of other things also and I refuse to drive on it, at least for the first hour or so, then I feel OK with it but that's a sticky point with the law so it's better to just not do that. Best of luck to you. God gives us great things at times and my decision to try this is one of them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. You need medical records, mri's, xrays, etc.... Plus in Michigan you need a " doctor patient relationship" which means a couple follow up appointments after you get your card. Its not as easy to become a patient here in Mich as it is in cali

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Oh and I forgot sorry for double post- the state of Mich is sticklers about the paperwork. Everything has to be exactly as they tell you to fill out and send anything out of place they send paperwork back and you have to resend. Any questions let me know as I do multiple patients pasperwork cause I'm a caregiver

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Good advice from kindalernatives

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. On the upside . Our cards are good for two years now . And it's the same price as 1 year.

Sent from your mom's phone.

9. Hello everyone. Yesterday I met with a Michigan medical marijuana doctor and was approved. I came with my medical records in two CD's rather than the documents due to the fact I've had over 25 visits in the last three years; paper documents can be expensive. I paid $180 for the doctor and was told I need either a money order or check for the state, they do not accept cash. The doctors helper was nice, but somewhat hard to understand. I'm new to all this so I'm left feeling confused. Yesterday she said I would be receiving something in the mail in the next day or two from them; I have no idea what I'm receiving or the importance of it. I think it's my paperwork and the doctors signature? Anyways, I also was given two envelopes. One of them she wrote instructions on which are hard to read and it also says "save save save", and the other one she said I send to the state. It has a copy of my license in it. I also remember her saying I need to make a copy of something.

What do I need to send into the state? I really don't want to mess this up.

10. #10 Grandpa kush, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
    You send everything your suppose to save and the check or money order . Some people get a money order that lets them know when it has been cashed.

So you will have a copy of everything and the state has a mirror image copy of everything.
    21 days goes by and you haven't been denied' your good with just the paper work, if the money order is cashed . Or check is cashed your good . . .eventually you will get a card . .

Sent from your granny's IPAD!