MH vs HPS

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by sukuhdi, Oct 10, 2008.

1. I am going to be starting my setup in my closet and i plan to use fluorescents for the seedlings and plan to use a 400w light for the rest of the growing, and was wonder which light is the best for all around growing MH or HPS? I have heard since its going to be in my closet the hps puts out more heat, so they recommend a MH due to its low heat output. But i wanna use the the strongest light possible, i can always buy a better ventilation system i guess. ohh wand do you think putting a 600w instead would be way to much for a 4x6 grow area?

2. i would say hps. but if your spending that money anyway why not get a converted. use MH for veg and HPS for flower....

i have heard you can use HPS for the whole thing.

3. i have a lumatek 400W balast and it runs both HPS & MH. i dont have to change anything out. you cant hear it run and no heat. try that with a 400W Hortilux Blue (Metal halide) bulb. when i hook that up you can damn near see the plants grow. then i switch to the 400W HPS from Hortilux for flower. good lights make the difference. dont go cheap with your lights

http://www.eyehortilux.com/blue.html
    try that site and look at the diff bulbs and spectrums they cover

4. I too would say use both (MH for veg, HPS for flower). You can get switchable ballasts that will run both or you can get MH conversion bulbs that will run in a HPS ballast. Either one can be used all the way through but it's not ideal.

5. yeh can use either but if going for 1 of the 2 then hps as that'll give you nice tight buds whereas mh will give you airey buds but the flip side is going with mh will give you more resinous buds & more trichomes due to the uv rays it posesses(spell check:)),also just using the hps will make it stretch more but still get good yield with they denser buds.

if it was my choice i'd go with hps just for greater yield;)

hope this helps:smoking::wave:

6. Conversion bulb ftw.