MH/HPS Questions Need Help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by White Smoke, Jan 22, 2013.

1. As of right now I have my plants under some 26 watt CFL's and want to switch up the lighting due to slow growth. I understand you need either MH/HPS. Does anyone know any reliable websites to purchase them or if Lowes or Home Depot might have them. I looked on their website and saw a lot of 400 watt MH but they all differed in price but the wattage remained the same. I was wondering if someone can help me with this problem. And also there is a ballast of some kind? I just need to know what to buy regarding the MH or HPS, and what it would cost.:smoking:

2. okay well depending on where you live you can take a little trip to your local hydropo stores and check out there prices another place you can go to is ebay if i where you i would make sure that when you buy the lights you get a hood or cooling tube with reflectures?(you can diy a hood nd cooling tube if short on funds)also depending on your space and money i would go and buy a 1k hps/mh light (theres some that all you need to do is just change the bulb when your ready to flower)also idk how far along you have thought about this but its ganna get hot where those lights are ganna be so i would suggest a inline fan :wave::wave:

3. Alright but what about the ballast thing? What exactly do I need to make the MH to work? I've never even seen a MH or HPS light so i'm not familiar with all of the little pieaces needed to power the lights. Is it like a CFL and you buy the adaptor then plug it into a power strip or is it much different then this?:confused:

4. about the ballist i say you get an electric ballist theres also coil on coil but those are more bulkyer and get hotter and if you buy on ebay just make sure that its can hold a mh nd hps blub and pretty much thats it notthing really too it heres a link to a seller from ebay thats selling what you need its about 258 usd what is your grow space btw and what strain??

1000W 1000 Watt Digital HPS MH Grow Light System Set | eBay

5. I mean I purchase a grow kit off Ebay it might be a bit obvious but I think I'm just going to get a 400 watt because i'm sharing electric bill with roommate and we both dont want to raise electric bill to much. Staying low profile at all cost in our apartment and shit. My space is my closet and it is just bag seed. Thanks for the help btw man. :D :smoking:

6. 400 is a great starter/hobby light.

Look for a switchable( it'll run both MH&HPS).

Good luck

PS don't forget to buy bulbs. Sometime they come with only one or no bulbs. Just get the cheapos for your first set IMHO

7. ceramic metal halides have done well for me, but i do not advocate switching to the red bulbs because that always irritated my plants and gave me zero more in return. i actually had a lemon tree shed 80% of it's foliage when i tried to switch it to the red bulbs.

8. My Meyer Lemon did the same when I put it under a 150.

Outside or under the floros...does great.

9. yeah i learned the hard way on that. heard a lot of talk years ago about the red bulbs being great for flowering so i tried some and realized after running a couple grows that they did nothing more then CMH and in fact if my lemon tree reacted this way it couldn't be all they say. full spectrum for me all the way.

10. Just to be clear I would just buy a 400 watt set on Ebay or Amazon or something like this? It would come with the ballast, the light, maybe two, the hud. Also look for the switchable ballast. Is this everything I'll need to know you think blades? I appreciate the info. guys I'm very new to cultivation and my two plants that I have are decent. One looks pretty good and the other is droopy. I'm hoping the MH or HPS will really promote growth and I'll probably start adding nutes soon. It has been about 1 1/2 months but they are under half a foot...:(

11. yupp pretty much...........and dammmmm they are growing slow 1 and a half months and under a foot dammm goood luck bro

12. I know the growth has been very bad.. Well thanks again for the info I now know what I must do :D. Have a good day blades :wave: :smoke: