MH Conversion bulb

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rhapsodyrcks, May 2, 2011.

1. I had a question on these. How do they work exactly do you switch between the two or is it automatic? I have a 400w HPS that can take either bulb. How would I enable it?

2. i've never used one, but my brother does. he said he switches to hps, and uses it. i think it has the look of a mh bulb though...

3. My HPS does not have a switch on it but it can take that bulb. The bulb does not have a switch on it. So basically my question is are both MH and HPS active at the same time. If not how do you switch it when its time.

4. so your ballast isn't switchable, it's a basic hps. the bulb will have no switch. just put the bulb in and start growing...

5. Thanks I already am growing....so basically with that bulb and since my ballast is not switchable the bulb will be firing MH and HPS at the same time?

6. a conversion bulb is designed to be used in a ballest its not designed for. the 600 watt mh conversion bulb is the most notorius bulb because before the digilux 600 watt mh there where no strait 600mh bulbs. i beleve it has something to do with the ignition on the bulb. the way its struck

7. Yep, it's all about the igniter -- HPS needs an igniter and MH does not. A HPS ballast actually includes two devices, a ballast and an igniter. A MH ballast only has the ballast. A switchable ballast has the ballast and igniter and a switch to bypass the igniter for MH.

You can't run a regular MH bulb off a regular HPS ballast. A MH conversion bulb is made to run off a HPS ballast, it is designed to absorb the pulse of the igniter.

8. i thought you could run the mh bulb on a hps ballast. i have the digital lumatec 600w ballast and i was told you could. good info to have.
    General product info
    they run both.

9. Thanks for the responses people. Mine can do both. Heres the tube I got.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/GYO-Supplies-GYO2009-3-Piece-Hydroponic/dp/B004HNPGKA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304335498&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: GYO Supplies GYO2009 3-Piece 400 Watt Hydroponic 6-Inch Cool Tube Grow Light Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

10. That isn't a HPS ballast, it's a digital ballast that can run both HPS and MH, not specific to either one.