Mexico Awash In Drug Violence - Is this due to your drug policy US?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CannabisInCanada, Oct 23, 2009.

1. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPynhlZnEYw&feature=sub]YouTube - Mexico Awash In Drug Violence[/ame]

2. I read somewhere that there were 14,000 dead Mexicans just due to the drug wars there.

3. yeah, and more than hundreds of thousands of people die in usa from murders and other crimes, but you only pretend like this happens in mexico? mexico government is having this under control, in a year or two you will only hear of mexican cartels in archives.

4. I doubt that. The cartels will never go away. The Mexican government might weaken them or destroy a few of them but they will only be replaced by stronger and more violent ones. The current war against the cartels isn't really slowing them down. The only way to destroy the cartels once and for all is for Mexico, the United States and Canada to fully legalize all drugs. Not just possession but production and distribution as well. To take the power out of the hands of criminals you must make their products legal.

5. thats not true, just by the decriminalization of canabis in mexico would seriously hurt the cartels. the mexican government is sending its top cartel members to a prison island about 50 miles away from the coast, im sure no one will hear from the cartels again from that place.

6. wait, if i'm reading this correctly, then Decriminalization only means that the cops won't go after people with small-ish amounts of Cannabis... but, where are the people going to get their cannabis? they still would have to go to their dealers whom are still linked in some manner to the cartels.

i have to say that on that level, i politely disagree... if they truly desire to end the cartel violence surrounding cannabis, just take the cannabis from the cartels (by legalizing, regulating and taxing it.)

they'd have increased revenue, they'd have reduced costs of those being tossed in prisons, they'd have channels in place for those that are abusing it to the point of psychological addiction and there would no longer be people being stigmatized as criminals simply on the basis of what intoxicant they choose to relax with.

though, i will agree that decriminalization would be a step in the right direction compared to the sorry state of affairs as they are now.