Meteor Shower Tonight! Who's Smoking?

Discussion in 'General' started by JuicyJBB, Aug 13, 2008.

1. So there is a meteor shower tonight? Anyone know what time it is? Who's going to be smoking?

2. is there?! im interested too!

3. uh when? someone find out. plz :D

4. Meteor showers are boring.

Unless they're crashing into New York City or something and it's all dramatic.

5. LOL. That post made me laugh.

6. While the meteor shower starts I'll watch Armageddon.

7. Ethier way, I'm in.

8. wait i thought that was yesterday night/morning.......im pretty sure it was

either way i think the sky should still be a little active

9. dude last night i was out with my friends i snuck out at 3 and we toked on top of a elementary schools roof 2 stories high and we saw the shower at like 420 in the morning hahaha:D

10. wasnt there a meteor shower last night

11. Its the Perseid meteor shower and it actually started a couple weeks ago but is peaking in visibility the 11, 12, and 13th of august.

12. Quote taken directly from Wikipedia

The Perseids will next be active from July 17 to August 24, 2008. The current observed ZHRmax is 69 (at 2008 August 12 9:50 UT) [2]

The Perseids are expected to reach their maximum on Aug. 12. The exact time of maximum should be about 7:00 a.m. EDT (1100 GMT) Aug. 12, according to Margaret Campbell-Brown and Peter Brown in the 2008 Observer's Handbook of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. If so, the timing is very good for meteor watchers observing before dawn in North America, especially in the western states. And that morning, the waxing gibbous moon sets around 1:30 a.m. local daylight saving time, leaving a dark sky for the next 3 hours.

13. So im guessing we cant see these anymore?

14. yes, the shower will continue to be visible tonight.

in!

15. 4 o'clock in the morning.

16. someone just please give me a time! ( pacific )

17. 1 no they are not you are wrong

2 if they destroyed NYC i'd be cheering. that city is NASTY.

since New Jersey is the garden state, does that make NYC the compost pile? i think so.

18. Wait all night? or 4 oclock? and in what timezone?

19. 11 pm - 4am

best times for viewing pacific standard time.

20. I saw one earlier tonight. I think I saw another too. So that's cool. I've never seen one ever, so to see two in one night was cool.